It's Not Much To Ask

It's been a few weeks, and their relationship has slowly gotten to the point where James feels much more comfortable being invited to Thomas' home to cook or bake. Thomas felt someday he'd have to take responsibility and learn to make his own food instead of having food being brought to him. James wasn't very experienced himself, but he loved to help. Now they stood in Monticello's second bigger kitchen alone, staring at a simple cake recipe.

"I don't really understand why we couldn't have baked this in the smaller kitchen. I mean, sure this one has a nice bake oven, but..." James crossed his arms, looking up to Thomas and cocking his head to the side.

"Well I have to wind the clock, don't I?" Thomas scoffed, motioning to the tall case clock that stood against the wall opposite to them.

"What is it with you and that clock?" James huffed, picking up a small bag of flour. "Come on, let's make a start on this cake." Thomas nodded, looked back at the clock, and grabbed a nearby bowl.

They continued working rather silently, accompanied by Thomas' whistling, until James remarked, "Something tells me this will be a much easier cooking session than last time's...Moules sauce poulette." Thomas broke out into laughter at James' pronunciation as he carried a milkcan in one hand and held a couple of eggs in the other. "What's so funny?" James stared at Thomas, puzzled, and took the eggs.

Managing to calm down, Thomas patted James' shoulder and set the can down on the tabletop. "Don't worry 'bout it." He waved a dismissive hand and looked back to the clock. "Oh! We better get going, I've a meeting I must attend soon."

"But what about when the cake is in the-"

"Unfortunately I won't be here to take the cake out with you when it's done..." Thomas hurriedly read through the recipe and quickly cracked the eggs into the bowl with the fluffy mixture of sugar and butter. James sighed.

~~~~~

With the cake in the oven, Thomas had left James behind in a hurry. 30 minutes, do what you want. Be prepared to take the cake out a few minutes prior to the end time, alright? Thomas' directions echoed in James' mind as he wandered out into the entrance hall. He glanced down at the pocket watch Thomas had left him. "Surely I can take a little stroll before it burns?" James murmured, stepping out the door. His head shot up to see a mail coach stopping in front of him.

"Jefferson? You're not Jefferson." A short plump man looked down at the envelope then back up to James.

"No, sir. I'm a business partner of his. Jefferson's gone to an important meeting of sorts." James smiled.

"Well, would you give this to him when he gets back?" The man replied, handing the envelope to James who nodded curtly.

"Of course, sir. Have a nice day!" James waved as the man rode off to continue delivering letters, and he walked back into the house. Strangely enough the exterior of the envelope was completely blank. There wasn't even a seal. "'Twould be rather rude to open another man's letters...he wouldn't mind, would he?" Taking out the pocket watch and seeing he had only wasted ten minutes, James walked down to the kitchen where the cake was still baking. Momentarily closing his eyes and smiling at the already delectable aroma of the cake wafting from the oven, James opened the unsealed envelope and pulled out the letter.

Jefferson dearest,

I trust this letter has reached you with much haste. I know we've already discussed the meeting weeks prior, so if it's not much to ask I think we need to talk about delaying it.

James' smile fell.

Perhaps you're already on your way here and you haven't yet seen this letter. That's fine, I've already thought about what to say when you get here.

He didn't need to read anymore of the letter, ripping it in half and leaving it on the tabletop. He held Thomas' pocket watch with a shaky hand, feeling his face burning with rage. Yet tears started forming in his eyes. The sweet smell of cake quickly turned into a poisonous one, choking James. Constricting his lungs.

Thomas. That name meant nothing now.