Trying

A few days later and James still hadn't gotten back to Thomas about things. He absentmindedly turned in his modified Windsor chair in thought, staring blankly out the window down at his plantation. The evening sun filtered into the room, casting a warm glow to the far right of him which left him in the cold shadows. Thomas didn't mind though, he was anxiously waiting for some kind of letter from James because he hadn't heard or seen the man in what felt like years. He jumped up and almost tripped when he heard a faint knocking at the door of Monticello, his heart skipping a few beats as he raced toward the entrance. Thomas stopped before it and straightened himself out, clearing his throat and slowly opening the door. "Who might it be?" He tried not to allow himself to raise his hopes too high, it always ended in disappointment. But this time was not like the others.

"James!" Thomas almost screamed in his excitement, but held himself back as the smaller man walked past him into the foyer. "So, how've you been?" He closed the door and followed behind James, hands clasped together in anticipation.

"Just fine, Thomas." James replied quickly, his words almost coming out in a jumbled mess. "And you?"

Thomas shrugged, adjusting his cuffs and slouching a little. "I've been..." He leaned against the wall, not allowing himself to lose his cool. "...doing great. Yeah." Thomas pushed off the wall and messed up James' hair, waving his hand dismissively as he walked towards the big kitchen. "So what're you doing here?"

James groaned, trying to catch up behind Thomas. "Well, I just wanted to come here and..." He struggled to speak, tapping his index fingers together nervously. James brushed back his hair with a hand, his eyes darting from the back of Thomas to the floor. "...and say sorry."

Thomas' eyes lit up, but didn't turn around. Time for a bit of payback? He thought it was appropriate. "Y'know, you really hurt my feelings with your antics, James. I don't think..." Thomas let out a convincingly solemn sigh, shaking his head sadly. "I don't think I can forgive you. I'm sorry."

James squinted up at Thomas, perplexed. "Please, I'm sorry! I'll be better! More understanding to your situation! I blew up too quickly, and-and..." James was getting flustered, his face turning beet red as he tried to get Thomas to understand. To forgive. He gave up, sitting against the wall and curling into a ball. It only took one sniffle for Thomas to be alarmed and whirl around, rushing over to James.

"James! I wasn't being serious, of course I forgive you!" He wrapped his arms around James' small frame, trying to comfort his small friend. Thomas let out a slight chuckle, patting James' back. "Oh, you silly man. How could I ever not forgive you? Why would I ever?"

James rested his head on Thomas' shoulder, snickering. "Oh, Thomas. You should know by now that I know all your tricks. That was foolish and you should be ashamed you fell for it, honestly."

They both had a good laugh, then quietened down as the rain started pouring. Thomas and James sat side-by-side on the floor, leaning against the wall in silence. In each other's pleasant company. James leaned against Thomas and breathed softly as he fell into a quiet dream, holding Thomas' hand.

Sorry for being so lazy, haha. Don't worry, I've got some great angst planned out for the future :^) And apologies for a short chapter, like damn...this was just a forgiveness chapter, so forgive me for the length.