Hesitation

Every step they took back to the office was one step closer to certain humiliation and the end of James' life. He was constantly adjusting his coat, stopping Thomas to fix himself up...needless to say, James was nervous. At first Thomas thought nothing of it - 'oh, it's just James being his usual fussy self' - and waited patiently. Slowly, he started noticing the frequent strange behaviour and stopped by the office door to face James with a stern look. "You're sure acting a little strange today; you sure you're perfectly fine?"

"I'm surprised you would ask such a thing, Thomas. This is how I am everyday! Maybe you haven't observed me enough times to know?" James deflected Thomas' question, waiting with bated breath for the man's response.

Thomas pondered for a bit, then pushed open the door. "I suppose you're right, James. But you should know that I do watch you quite often during the day." With that, he walked past James into the office. James let out a relieved sigh, quickly following Thomas and closing the door. The taller man was leaning on the desk with his arms crossed, studying James' every action. "Now, are you able to show me that letter in reply to Burr? I'd like to revise it before we send it off."

James ever so slowly walked to his desk, trying to postpone the viewing of the letter. "Surely you've got this backwards. Most of the time I'm revising for you!" He opened the desk drawer where the letter lay, staring down at it with a hint of fear in his eyes.

"Well, I do so enjoy reading your handwriting. And this'll teach me how to fix my own papers when you're not around! Come, let's read this together." Thomas smiled, patting the desk space beside him for the other. James reluctantly walked around the desk to sit beside him, but kept a fair distance away. He had the letter folded up, and held it out to Thomas. Thomas tried to take it, but James had a firm grip on the page. "James..?" He pulled at it again, harder this time. But James held fast, a light blush on his face.

Thomas rolled his eyes and leaned forward to place a small, friendly kiss upon James' forehead. It was effective in making James get incredibly flustered and let go of the letter, which Thomas snatched away before he could recover. "Thomas, wait!" James could do nothing but watch Thomas unfold the page and begin reading out loud.