10 - As a Rock

Four's Logbook

I got the navigational data from the IMS Kraken. KT and I are now on our way back to the Griffin, where we'll regroup with everyone and warp-jump somewhere else so that the IMC don't follow us.

So now, I've got two problems. One being that the Kraken's blackbox has now recorded me leading a raid on the IMC vessel. I don't know what they'll do with that information, I don't have any friends they could threaten, and my family's been dead for a long time. I just hope that they put a bounty on my head, and are done with it.

My second issue is Gates. As far as she knows, I drastically changed my evac plan, terminated our comm connection, and she was unable to contact me for the remainder of the mission. I'm sure that I'll have hell to pay when I get back.

Personally, out of the two problems facing me, I'm more afraid of the latter.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

—X—

The Widow opened its massive door in its side, and Tobias held a hand to cover the transition of the shadowy cargo bay to the bright light of the Griffin's hangar. Looking out to the shield doors, he found that they were completely closed. The Griffin must have jumped as soon as the dropship had returned.

KT's hatch opened, and he stepped out from the cockpit, almost falling to the ground. That last move of flying into the Widow had definitely banged him up a bit. Might be a broken bone or something. Either way, he was hurting.

"Pilot?"

KT noticed him fall to the ground, and quickly jumped into action. "Are you alright?! What's wrong?"

He waved her away with one arm while he used to the other to support himself, and keep himself from crumpling to the ground. "I'm fine, just... just hurting a bit. Give... give me a minute."

The Titan obliged, and stood watch over him, monitoring him for further bouts of pain. As he looked up, he saw a familiar blue-suited pilot making her way towards him.

This wasn't gonna be fun.

"If you weren't in such a bad shape already, I'd be kicking your arse up and down the frigate." She crossed her arms, and just stared at him menacingly. "What the hell were you thinking, pulling shit like that?! Changing plans at the last moment and destroying the Kraken, what was the point of it?!"

He groaned. "If they'd looked at the computer system... they'd be able to see what files we accessed. They might have known what we were looking for, and prepared."

It took a moment for Gates to get it, but suddenly it clicked for her. "You mean ..."

"I was buying us time ... to prepare, and come up with some plan if we do end up going after Erebus." His hand shaking, he pulled out his data knife and handed it to Gates. "All the nav data of the last six months is on there, if ... if Erebus was streamed to the Kraken's database at any time, it'll be in there."

Now that she understood his plan a bit better, she stopped acting so harsh. She crouched down to his level, and placed a hand on his shoulder. She spoke a bit softer, "You alright, Four? Seriously, don't bullshit me."

He was about to come up with some witty remark when another pulse of pain hit him, and he winced in response to her question.

She quickly turned to the crowd of riflemen standing nearby. "We need a medic, quickly! We've got wounded." While several of them ran off to get help, she turned back to him.