11 - A Strengthened Bond

Four's Logbook

So, the recommended time for me to heal up is about five weeks. They want me in the infirmary for one, and then taking it easy for the next few.

Naturally, I'm checking myself out in two days.

There are people who need the medical wing more than I do, and so long as I'm wearing a proper brace, I think I should be fine. A bit more painful jumping around and all, but I'll manage. Gates won't be happy, but that doesn't matter right now.

Fortunately, she told me that Briggs has decided not to reprimand me for my change of plans, and instead was apparently impressed with my 'intuitive thinking'. I think that's just her way of saying thanks for giving the Militia a bit more breathing room to plan when it comes to the IMC and Erebus. Now, it's time to get out of this makeshift hospital, and back to work. Gates told me she was going to go over some ideas with everyone in the hangar, and I've got to be there.

I've got a plan to make.

—X—

"Alright, gather 'round."

Tyra and Vale stepped closer while their Titans and KT stayed back, watching them. Gates looked at the pilots and nodded approvingly.

"You two have obviously proved yourselves reliable and capable on that last mission. I can see why Four requested you at the time. Considering that you're some of the very few who actually know him, I have no problem if you'd wish to continue with the next part of this investigation, and follow his lead-"

Vale interrupted, "Yes, ma'am. I would."

Gates looked at the Simulacrum expectantly. She continued, "Tyra and I initially distrusted him, though we didn't voice out opinions as vocally as others did, and decided to give him a chance. He's proven to me at least, that he is loyal to our cause, and he's a good man to follow. I would be more than happy to serve at his side for this mission."

"Oh stop it, you'll make me blush."

Everyone, including the Titans, quickly turned towards the source of the noise. KT's optics opened wide, and she felt a small burst of elation. Making his way across the hangar deck was none other than Tobias.

Gates pointed at him aggressively. "Oh, no. You, infirmary, now. Or I'll drag your arse back there myself."

He held up his hands in a submissive manner. "Easy, I already checked myself out. They weren't thrilled at the idea, but they cleared it."

"You should be in there for a week-"

"I'm fine! Really! Look," he protested, jumping up and down a bit to showcase to her that he was able-bodied. He did wince a bit, but that was the only reaction he dared let her see. "It's not like I'm heading out into battle today, we've still got a few weeks for me to fully heal until we move out. This way, I'm just saving you from having to tell it twice. Hmm?"

He waited with bated breath while the blue of her visor stared him down. She held up a finger. "One mishap, and back to the medical wing. Clear?"

"Crystal." He held out a thumbs up towards Vale and Tyra. "Glad to see you two have such high opinions of me."

Tyra turned to Gates. "Has he always been this much of a smartass?"

"At first, yeah. He seemed to mellow out when he realized survival was on the line. I suppose now that he understands that we're all friends here, it's resurfacing a bit." She crossed her arms, but he could just feel that she was giving a slight grin under that helmet of hers.