13 - Ancient Powers

Four's Logbook

We're almost to the rendezvous point now. The desolate and flat wasteland consisting of rocky outcrops and sand has slowly disappeared. It's been a long transition, but it's gotten much colder, as evidenced by the sand being replaced with snow. I think we must be near the arctic point of this planet for such a change to happen so fast. In any matter, the terrain is now filled with a frozen tundra with a variety of flatlands, valleys, mountains, and dunes.

We spotted something that could have been an outpost on the horizon. It was a bit far to see, even with magnification, but if it was, then it means that we're getting closer to whatever the IMC are hiding. It was out of the way, so we decided not to investigate; but we're taking it as a hopeful sign of things to come.

Erebus may be a dead planet, I'm still yet to see any trees or forms of wildlife; but there's no denying that it's pretty, and unique. Not a bad place to die on.

Still, I'm hoping that won't be the case.

—X—

The snowstorm around them was becoming stronger, as the white powder flew past them, creating coats of ice-crystals on their metallic plates. CH extended his arm and ignited a small jet of fire to melt it away, as he had done several times over the past hour. KT would pick at it every once in a while, and Skids just pushed through it, ignoring the ice for the most part.

She turned behind them to see a long trail of massive footprints left behind, stretching far into the distance until the view was obstructed by a large hill they'd traversed. She remarked on how long they'd been traveling today, and wondered how the pilots were faring.

The landscape around them reminded her all too much of Nedar, except that at least Nedar had trees and other cover. Out here in the vast tundra, there was no cover but large rises and each other. It made her worried; they hadn't been able to establish contact with the others since last night, likely due to the snowstorm. They were on the fifth day of their march, and she couldn't help but hope that Four wasn't freezing to death or something-

"We are one kilometer from the rendezvous point," came Skids' voice, startling her out of thought. She looked over at the Ronin.

"Are you sure?"

"Affirmative. 1.2 kilometers to be precise. You can cease your worrying."

She nodded. That meant only one more kilometer until they were reunited with their pilots; one more kilometer until she could make sure Four was safe-

Wait. "What do you mean, 'cease my worrying'?"

Skids paused for a moment. "You may think your thoughts go unnoticed, but your behavior betrays you. You have been noticeably more depressed this last week than I've normally observed, you wonder about their status aloud and much too often, and you grow silent for long stretches of time when you think of the potentially tragic scenarios that could befall them. Especially him."

She bristled a bit at his comments. "I exhibit none of those traits; I am operating efficiently-"

"No, you're not."

CH's optics turned from Skids to KT and back. "I am unaware of what the two of you are referring to."

Skids snorted. "KT has become affectionate with her pilot."

She felt herself flare up a bit with rebelliousness towards Skids and his cynical view of her. "Of course I am affectionate with him, he is my pilot-"

"More so than you let on. It is disconcerting to see such a bond between the two of you. I overheard your conversation with him several days ago, but have neglected to bring it up until now. Your very language and manner of speaking changes when you interact with him."