Chapter Four (Real Life Nightmares)

I woke up in the middle of the night, panting. I had relived my worst nightmare. I threw the covers off of me, unintentionally waking Locland up. He shot up, jumping to his feet in a defensive position. "Rayne?" he asked, lowering himself back onto the bed.

"So-orry." I stuttered, shaking.

"What's wrong? Did I hurt you?" he asked, leaning closer to me and stretching his arms out to me. I shook my head quickly, not trusting my voice. "Rayne, talk to me, Angel," he pleaded, pulling me onto his lap. As my body shook from terror, tears streamed down my flushed face.

I shook my head again, hiding my face in the crook of his neck, hoping to escape his penetrating gaze. "I promise I won't hurt you, Rayne," he whispered urgently in my ear, while he ran his hand up and down the length of the back.

"I ca-can't." I whimpered, trying so hard to forget the nightmare that was once my reality.

"I can't help you unless you tell me. I promise I won't judge you or anything." It was silent for a minute before he whispered, his voice laced with so much pain that it made me cry even harder. "Please tell me? I care about you so much."

"I don't want you to leave me too." I sobbed, shaking my head while clinging onto his shirt.

"I will never leave you, Rayne," he whispered, stroking my hair in an attempt to soothe me.

I jumped up from the bed and ran from the room. I ran out the front door, down the long hallway that led to the elevator and stairs. Quickly running through the door labeled emergency exit, I dashed up the stairs, trying my hardest to block out Locland's calls.

I made it to the roof where I fell to the ground in a heap, unable to control the emotions coursing through me. I was slightly aware of the strong arms wrapping cautiously around me and the kisses being placed on the top of my head. I needed him more than he would ever understand, and I knew once he found out my problems he would run fast, faster than a cheetah after its prey.

Even though I knew this, I wrapped my shaking arms around his neck, needing his silent support. He held me tighter than before, until I stopped crying. After what seemed like hours, I pulled away from him and looked straight into his eyes. "Sorry," I whispered, my voice cracking. He shook his head, picking me up, and carried me down the stairs back to his apartment, while I kept my head tucked into his shoulder.

He laid me on the bed and tucked me in then quickly walked out of the room, leaving me there more confused than ever. He was back seconds later, holding a glass of water. I sat up as he handed it to me, and I downed the whole thing in one gulp. "Can I ask you something?" I whispered, trying to distract myself. He nodded, taking a seat beside me. "What's your full name?" He smiled, taking my hand and rubbing his thumb over the top in a soothing way.

"I'll tell you mine, if you tell me yours." I nodded eagerly. "Locland Colton Quinn."

"Rayne Angel Coleman."

"I've been calling you angel," he whispered, pulling me onto his lap.

"I know and I love it." My eyes were starting to get heavy now; the lack of sleep was getting to me.

"Go to sleep." I nodded, lying back down and closing my eyes.

I felt the bed dip as he climbed in and wrapped his arms around me, bringing me closer to him. I drifted off, ignoring the way his hand rubbed circles on my right thigh and the other hand held onto me tightly.

~*~

"What the hell!" I screamed, walking into the kitchen. Locland turned to me, smiling sheepishly as he tried to put the fire out on the stove.