Prologue

Rayne

I was running, the pain in my side growing with each step I took. My breathing was coming out in short pants as my feet kept on moving. I wanted, no, I needed to take a break, before my knees buckled from exhaustion. I stopped, leaning against a building, the cold bricks soothing my hot, sticky skin.

I rubbed my stomach tenderly, the small bump becoming noticeable. My clothes were getting too small, and people were congratulating me at work. My phone was ringing and vibrating uncontrollably, preventing me from listening to music.

I pulled it out of the special armband that Loc had bought for me when I went running. I turned the screen on, wincing when I saw the numerous missed calls and text messages from all my friends and new family.

I quickly sent a text to my best friend and sister-in-law.

I'm fine, out for a run.

I then put on some upbeat music, before taking a deep breath and running in no specific direction.

My phone rang again, and by now, I was annoyed. "What!" I exclaimed, finally having enough.

"Where are you?" My brother Aiden's deep baritone voice echoed, sounding just as angry.

"I'm fine. Now leave me alone." I snapped, watching a few stray cars whizz past me.

"That's great to know. Now tell me where the hell you are!"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm out for a run."

"At two in the morning?"

I sighed, starting to turn around. "I couldn't sleep, and if you must know where I am, I don't know."

"Rayne!"

"I know it's careless, but I wasn't running in a certain direction, and now I might be lost. Can you come and find me?"

"You're lucky I love you, Sunshine."

~*~

Half an hour later I was sitting inside his beat-up old Mustang, listening to a rather long lecture. "You're pregnant, Rayne. You need to take care of yourself, if not for yourself then for that baby growing inside of you. You're being reckless. What about Loc?"

"Don't you dare mention his name! I'm a mess because of him. I don't want a lecture about life from you. I know I shouldn't have gone out running in the middle of the night. I'm sorry I made you worry. Now please drop it." I had been watching him, as he kept checking the rearview mirror, changing lanes frequently, and speeding around corners.

"You're going to the doctor in the morning and telling Loc."

"He can't know about the pregnancy or tonight." I declared, making my voice firm.

"We have another problem," he muttered, checking the mirror again.

"What now?"

"We're being followed by Trent."

My gasp was the only sound that could be heard in the car.