Mary

Lantern light.

I stand at the side of the grave, holding a lantern for Ichabod as he digs up the shallow grave of the Horseman. Ichabod has been shoveling for a good hour or so by now, evening creeping in to the chilled air.

My focus shifts down to young Masbath, who sits on a tree stump with a rifle across his knees. Katrina stands next to him, studying the forestry around her, cautious.

A cawing noise sounds from above, and I peer up at the high branches to see a raven pecking at a swarm of bats. I immediately feel a cold chill trickle down my spine in uneasiness.

Ichabod throws his shovel out of the grave, and I offer him a hand. He takes it and climbs out of the grave, his recently cleansed face pale in the descending light of dusk.

When he dusts the dirt off his coat, he runs a hand through his hair, both of us sharing a nervous glimpse. We then look down into the grave. Ichabod circles the grave, crouching opposite side of me, looking down in disbelief. And I notice what is shocking to him.

Roots have gripped the Horseman's bones and tattered the remains of his uniform. The full skeleton is all there—except the skull.

​"The skull... is gone. Taken," he explains to us in a raised voice. My eyes fly to him, the fear apparent in my expression.

"Taken?" I murmur, unable to fully understand why someone would want it. He glances up at me, then back down into the grave.

"That is why the Horseman returns from the grave. To take heads, till his own, is restored to him."

Thunderclaps boom throughout the land, making our eyes tear from the grave to the sky, lightning flashing.

I hear a slithering sound at my feet, and see that the ground is writhing around us. I step away, and look to my sister and young Masbath in fright.

Wind gusts around us, stirring the leaves and our hair. Katrina and young Masbath walk toward the tree slowly, young Masbath raising his rifle in caution. Fear is clear in Katrina's voice as she calls, "Ichabod?"

Ichabod looks to her, then to the base of the tree. My eyes fly around as I hear a gross, wet sound from within the tree.

Katrina and young Masbath back away from the tree. And I see why, because the roots in the grave are alive, entwining around the Horseman's remains.

I turn to climb around the tree, making my way down from the Tree of the Dead. The vertical suture seethes, pulling inward, sucking Philipse's head back in and closing, bubbling. Bile climbs in my throat at the horrific, gruesome image.

Katrina and young Masbath move away from the tree, closer to us. Ichabod comes to my side, and looks over the tree to see the suture in the tree pulsating, blood seething from the large gaping wound.

At the tree, the suture swells. A rumbling is heard from the tree. It's wound suddenly bursts wide, spitting smoldering cinders. From the tree wound, a glow brightens... till, suddenly, the Headless Horseman and Daredevil explode into existence.

The Horseman rears Daredevil, drawing his blade. Katrina and young Masbath gasp, the boy clutching the rifle close. Aiming to take fire in case the Hessian attacks us.

But no attack is brought forth; they hit the ground running.

________ Ichabod ________

I watch the Horseman ride away, bolts of lightning striking the ground behind. The Horseman disappears into the forest.

I can't lose him now! I leap from the tree, and get back into my feet, running toward the horses.

Young Masbath shouts in fear, "Constable!"

As I hurriedly mount Gunpowder, I call to him. "Take Mary and Katrina home!"

I race after the Hessian.

________ Mary ________

"Just take Katrina home! I'm going after him!" I shout, a burst of epinephrine and bravery coursing through my veins as I race to young Masbath's steed.

"Mary don't! It's not safe!" Katrina pleads.

"I don't give a damn! Take her home now, young Masbath!" I mount his horse, and kick him to a hair-whipping gallop.

I lean forward in hopes to gain after him.

________ Ichabod ________

The Horseman rips past on Daredevil.

I ride as fast as Gunpowder is able to. "Hyah! Hyah!"

Trees are silhouetted against the sky, all blurring together as I race on. As Daredevil's hoofbeats get louder, branches bend like arms and fingers yearning to touch them. As the hoofbeats roar past, the trees relax.

I do my best to ignore the eerily speed of the Hessian and his steed, focusing on catching up to him.

I duck under foliage as I pursue. I see through the forest ahead that the sky's lit up. There's a distant fire.

I hear a horse neighing in the trees, and the sound of the horse crashing through the undergrowth, departing, but I can see nothing.

________ Mary ________

I surge on, and see a shadowy figure ahead. I slow down my steed, and trot up to the figure.

It is only Ichabod, looking around frantically. He gasps at the sound of my approach, and exhales in relief at the sight of it only being me.

"Mary, what on Earth are you doing out here? It's not safe for you!" he asks with worry.

I trot to his side and explain, "I had to make sure you were safe. I can't let you go alone without worrying excessively."

His panicky gaze softens, and he seems to lean toward me. I, too, lean to him, and he places a hand on my cheek, pulling me toward him gently. My eyes flutter, ready to kiss him, adrenaline surging through me.

A loud neighing sounds in the distance, tearing our attention from each other. Our eyes fly to the noise.

The Hessian is on the loose.

________ Brom ________

Theodore, Glen and I are on patrol tonight. I clutch my new rifle close, prepared to defend Sleepy Hollow.

We can hear a horse crashing invisibly through branches, the sound of hooves. We can't tell where the sound is coming from, though. We look around, a bit nervous.

​​I decide that we should cover more ground, to better protect our town.

"Split up. Glenn," I order, gesturing him to go off right.

"Theodore," I say, pointing to my left. The three of us gallop off in three directions.

As I ride, there is a sound of deep rumbling. The sound I heard the night Jonathan Masbath was murdered.