Ichabod

A thoughtful finger is draped across my lip as I ponder over this mysterious case, reminiscing the newfound information of the secret wedding. I take a small moment to glance over at young Masbath, who is still fully dressed, asleep on a chair.

I sit stiffly at my small table, a frown crossing my features in the candlelight. Why on earth were the most esteemed women in this small village snooping so rudely through my belongings?

At the creak of a door, my head jolts to my room's entry. There before me stands the lesser of two nosies.

"Oh—pardon if I am disturbing your work. I came in to check on you, since I am still a host to your guested stay," Mary murmurs softly, her hands clinging shakily to her small wrap over her nightgown.

"No, not at all..." I say, suspicious of her. Images of her and Katrina snooping around my room flood my mind, creating a scowl to rest upon my features.

"Are you sure?" Mary asks me. I press my lips together in a thin line, and give her a curt nod.

"Okay... Well, I guess I should leave you alone," Mary whispers, turning to leave. I face my table, not uttering a word. She continues, "I just wanted to say: I'm sorry about earlier today. I told Katrina not to do what she did, and despite my efforts she still acted naïvely. I myself refused to see your privacy in your ledger."

I look to Mary once more, and see tears shining in her eyes. My heart sinks, and I regret how cold I have just been to her. "I... I'm sorry for being so harsh on you."

"You had every right to be, so no worries, Constable," Mary murmurs before leaving my room. On impulse, I leap up and stride to my door, stopping her from closing it. Mary lifts her eyes to mine, startled by my sudden action.

It isn't until a moment later that we realize how close in proximity we are, a pink flush flooding both of our cheeks. My heart beats wildly inside of my chest, so loudly that I fear she can hear it.

Before she could move another inch, I stammered, "I-I-I er... bid t-thee a good night, Mary."

She lowers her gaze for a short instant, right below my nose, then returns her eyes to mine. "Goodnight, Ichabod."

And with that, she turns around and strides to her quarters. A sigh escapes my lips, realizing how I have been holding my breath. I find myself left with minor disappointment at an opportunity lost.

The sound of a door shutting brings me back to reality from the repeated-thoughts of Mary's and my most recent encounter. I lift my eyes to Mary's door, and find the source came from downstairs. I quickly retreat back into my room to wake up young Masbath and return to the doorway, peering over the staircase railing. Young Masbath stands right behind me.

A cloaked figure holding a lantern glides across the floor to the entryway, hastily and silently exiting the manor.

I count to three after the door closes behind the cloaked figure, before I follow in pursuit. Fear sweeps into my bones, paranoia threatening to grapple my feet to the floor.

The figure continues to briskly leave the manor's property, going into the forest. I stop as I watch from the porch, watching carefully. Whoever this figure is, I feel they are up to no good. I hope Mary is still safe...

________ Mary ________

Tears fill my eyes, a blush always following after each sob. He was so, so close to me. So close I could smell his natural musk that smells of pine and new fabric. And I without a doubt have ruined what relationship we had when Katrina decided to foolishly snoop around his belongings. Oh, I wouldn't blame him if he lost all care for me.

When we were that close, I couldn't tell if he had the same feelings as I. Mine were well-displayed across my face, as I am an open book.

But his... He was reserved. But I only wish he knew how unreserved I wanted him to be right then and there. I wanted him to close the distance between us, to hold me, warm me by the tenderness of his arms around me.

It's so unladylike of me to say so, but I fear I am so infatuated with him that I can't wish for anything else.

I glance over to my writing desk, and walk to it, sitting down and pulling out my journal. The only way I can clear my head is by writing it all down onto parchment. And then I shall retire to bed.

________ Ichabod ________

Young Masbath and I stop on a hillside, the cloaked figure just on the other side of it. I turn to young Masbath and mouth, "Wait here."

With that, I advance up the hill, pulling out my pistol, ready to defend myself from any possible danger. I sneak onward, stopping by a tree and hiding. But the following sight burns itself into my mind.

The lantern that the cloak figure carried sits on a rock. On a blanket, a semi-naked man and semi-naked woman are in the midst of rough intercourse. Unable to remove my eyes from them, despite the bubbling bile in my stomach, I continue to watch the couple coupling, the man on top. His grunts and gasps are particularly desperate, as he another's himself all over the woman, who lays back...

It is Lady Van Tassel.

I swallow my rising bile, reluctantly continuing to watch. Lady Van Tassel pulls down the man's shirt, exposing his flesh. She raises a small, sharp knife behind his back.

My eyes widen in fear for the man, and I am just about to shout a warning.

But Lady Van Tassel brings the blade to her own hand, slicing deep into
her palm. Her blood flows. She rubs her cut hand over her partner's
arching back, smearing blood.

She caresses the man's chest, neck, face... trailing blood. The man lifts his head, in ecstasy, sucking the woman's bloody fingers. For a moment, I believe to think the man is none other than Reverend Steenwick, but I shake my head, deciding that my mind is playing tricks on me.

I back away, having seen more than enough. As quickly as possible, I return to young Masbath and gesture him to follow me back to the manor. I pocket my pistol, the disturbing images replaying over and over in my thoughts.

________________

Young Masbath and I enter the manor, returning to my bedroom. I place a hand hand over my chest, still perturbed with the sight in the woods. My eyes trail to my desk, seeing that the desk drawer is slightly open. I let my hand fall to my side, opening the drawer, already knowing the worst.

The documents have been taken.