Part 3

The next day, Minho and I went through our morning routine as usual. After he left our hut, I got dressed and made my way to the med hut. The day was more humid than usual- something the shade of the tent couldn't save me from. I could tell today was going to be a long day.
And I was right. A total of five slivers came in with injuries, and two builders had smashed their thumbs while hammering. Clint and Jeff were out making sure everyone was drinking enough water and didn't overwork themselves- we were already so busy, we didn't need anyone passing out from heat exhaustion.
I had just finished wrapping a slicer's hand when I heard a scream from far away. I assumed it was just some of the boys playing around, although I couldn't understand how in this heat. I started cleaning up my work area when my hairs stood on end at the sound of guttural screams just across the field.
I rushed out of my tent and ran towards the crowd that had formed just outside of the Deadheads. I pushed my way through and gasped when I saw Ben squirming on the ground, his eyes with blackish-purple rings around them. Alby appeared in the crowd.
"Lift up his shirt"he demanded. Ben pleaded while Gally, who was holding him down, lifted his shirt, revealing a black gash on his stomach. I gasped, my hand flying to cover my mouth.
"He's been stung... in the middle of the day?" Gally asked. My heart raced as I thought of Minho still running the Maze- hopefully still running the Maze. He had no idea there was a Griever on the loose in broad daylight.
"Ben, was Minho with you?" I asked, bending down to his level. "Ben?".
"Put him in the pit" Alby ordered. I stood up and walked over to him.
"Alby, let me see what I can do for him" I reasoned. He shook his head.
"He hurt Thomas. He broke our rule"
"He's already dying. Let me see if I can at least make him more comfortable" I pleaded. I needed to know if Minho was alright, and Ben was the only one I could ask right now.
Alby stared at me intently. "Fine". I sighed in relief.
"Change of plans. Tie him up, bring him to the med hut" Alby ordered. A couple of boys were able to restrain him and carry him over to the hut. I cleared off a surface and they laid him down.
"I'll stay with you" Jeff said, crossing his arms. I nodded and searched for a cloth. I dipped it in a bucket of water, rung it out and placed it on Ben's forehead.
"Ben..." I whispered. He continued to squirm and growl. "Is Minho alright?"
Everything was so fast. Somehow he managed to break free from the restraints and his hands were around my throat in an instant, choking me. Jeff found a plank of wood and hit him over the head, knocking him out. I rubbed my neck, taking in deep breaths between coughs.
"You okay?" Jeff asked. I nodded.
"I'm fine. Thanks" I replied breathlessly. We both stared at Ben slightly hanging off the makeshift bed.
"Well, at least he won't feel any pain now" I sighed, earning a chuckle from Jeff. We began cleaning up the hut and sat in silence, staring at the still knocked out Ben.
"I'm sure Minho is okay" Jeff said after a while. I felt tears well up in my eyes.
"I hope so" I replied in a cracked voice.
I spent the rest of the day in the hut, either tending to Ben or cleaning the same corner over and over again. I kept peeking my head out of the tent and looking at the sun for a sense of time. Eventually Clint arrived after keeping an eye on Thomas for a while.
"Hey, you okay?" he asked. I assumed Jeff had told him about earlier and nodded, peeking my head out again.
"Why don't you get some air? I'll stay with Ben" he said. I nodded and left, walking straight to the doors of the Maze. They would be closing soon, and Minho still hadn't returned. I paced back and forth, biting my nails. I heard an ear-piercing whistle and looked into the Maze, sighing at the sight. It took everything in me to not run in. Minho jogged over to me, a huge smile on his face. Once he passed the Maze doors I ran and flung my arms around his neck.
"I was so worried about you" I sighed into his shoulder. He chuckled and placed his hands on my hips. "What for?" He asked. I pulled away and looked up at him.
"You don't know?" I asked breathlessly. Part of me was happy- it meant that he was safe and far from Ben and the Griever. The other part was devastated that I had to explain it to him.
"Know what?" He asked as he furrowed his eyebrows. His smile faded as I bit my lip.
"Ben was stung. He tried to attack Thomas" I said. He squinted his eyes and gently touched the side of my neck. "Did he-". I grabbed his hand and held it in mine.
"He wasn't himself, he couldn't control it" I replied. His grip on my hand tightened and he led me back to the med hut. We walked in and, to my surprise, Alby was there. Minho slowly walked over to Ben's side, his eyes full of sorrow.
"When did this happen?" He asked, not looking away from Ben.
"This morning" I replied softly. "Minho", Alby said, placing a hand on Minho's shoulder, "you know what we have to do". Minho looked at him with sad eyes and nodded.
"Ten minutes" Alby said, and left. I walked up to Minho and snaked my arms around him from behind.
"I'm so sorry Minho" I whispered into his back. I felt him place his hand over mine before storming out of the hut.