Part 4

Later that day, Ben was banished to the Maze. I could see the pain in Minho's eyes as the doors closed. Everyone sulked away and returned to their duties, except him. I walked over quietly.
"Hey" I said softly. He looked over to me and pulled me into a hug, burying his face in my neck. Minho wasn't one to show emotion, so he was really distraught.
"I know Ben was your friend. I'm sorry" I said, gently combing my fingers trough his hair. He pulled away with a sigh and held my hand.
"Let's go to bed" he said finally. I nodded and we walked back to our little hut. Minho threw himself on the bed and I curled up next to him. We both laid in silence, staring at the ceiling until Minho spoke up.
"I'm taking Alby into the Maze tomorrow. We're going to run Ben's route to see what went wrong" he said. I sat up and stared at him.
"That's dangerous" I said. He pulled me over to him.
"What I do is dangerous. I thought you got used to that" he replied. I shook my head.
"I was worried sick thinking something happened to you out there. I was scared you wouldn't make it back" I confessed. This time Minho sat up and stared at me.
"In the three years we've been here, have I ever broken my promise?" he asked. I shook my head, remembering the night before his first run.
"Exactly. 'Cause I'm the best" he replied cheekily. I smiled and smacked his chest lightly.
"Seriously," he said, cupping my face with one hand, "I'll always come back to you".
"You better" I said, pulling him into a kiss. I laid my head on his chest and fell asleep in his arms.
The next morning Minho woke me up as he was about to leave. I quickly got dressed and walked with him to the Maze doors.
"Like I said, come back. Both of you" I said, pointing to both Minho and Alby. Minho hugged me tight and kissed me, and they were off. I watched them run down the corridor and turn the corner. A shiver ran down my spine- the Maze was so creepy, I didn't know how Minho could run it for hours every day.
I walked to the med-hut and started my day. It was surprisingly calm today, only one slicer was injured and it was a small cut. I walked around the Glade looking for something to do when I saw Newt, Chuck and Zart talking to the Greenie, Thomas. I made my way over to them.
"Hey guys" I called, waving to them.
"Hey Lia!" they called back. I plopped down on a freshly chopped tree.
"Thomas, how ya feeling?" I asked. He turned red.
"I'm better, thanks. What about you? I heard Ben got to you, too" he replied. I nodded and rubbed my neck which was still a little sore.
"Yeah, I'm fine though" I replied quickly.
"So, why did Alby go in the Maze? I thought non-runners weren't allowed" Thomas asked.
"Alby is Alby. He knows more about this place than anybody" I said, pulling some tall blades of grass out of the ground.
"But how?"
"It's like you've heard," Newt said, "Every month the Box brings up a new Greenie. That means someone had to be the first. Someone had to spend a whole month alone, and that was Alby". I nodded in agreement. We continued talking for a while until Frypan called out for lunchtime.
A few hours later I noticed a worried look on Thomas's face. I walked over to him and asked what was wrong.
"I thought they would just retrace Ben's steps, he couldn't have gone that far so early in the morning" he said, staring at the Maze. I followed his gaze and gulped.
"They'll make it" I said, trying to convince myself just as much.
It was minutes to sundown and they still hadn't arrived. The doors would close soon and they'd be stuck in the Maze, and no one survived that.A crowd had formed by the doors.
"Guys this is insane. Can't we send someone in after them?" Thomas asked.
"I'll go" I said, walking forward. Newt grabbed my wrist.
"We can't. It's against the rules" Gally said. "Either they make it back or they don't". My heart thumped so hard, I could feel it in my throat. Minho had to come back. He promised.
The doors began to close, blowing a gust of wind and dirt in our faces.
"Look!" Thomas shouted. We all looked up and saw Minho straight down the corridor, pulling Alby behind him.
"Something's wrong".
"They're not gunna make it".
I ran forward, only to be wrapped in Newt's arms as he wrestled me back.
"Minho! Run!" I screamed, and the rest of the boys did the same. Some even yelled for him to leave Alby.
He wasn't going to make it.
Just as the doors were about to close, Thomas flung himself into the Maze. No one was able to grab him, and he made it through just before the doors could crush him.
"Thomas!"
Everything was silent. Newt let go of me and I fell to the floor, feeling like I couldn't catch my breath. I put my head between my knees, interlocking my fingers behind my neck and breathing rapidly. My vision blurred from hot tears forming.
Minho was gone. I'd never see him again.
He promised.