Part 5

I couldn't move. I was numb and frozen in place. Minho didn't make it out in time, and he was never going to come back.
The boys slowly dispersed from the doors, leaving Chuck, Newt and I alone. I sat on the grass, staring at the massive stone doors with stinging eyes as I felt Newt approaching.
"Lia..." he trailed off, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. It was all he could do. As my oldest friend, he knew I couldn't function without Minho, and now he was gone.
"Maybe you should go eat" he said. I shook my head. I wasn't hungry.
"Lia, please" he pleaded. This time I didn't even shake my head. I didn't really know how long I sat there. A single tear slid down my cheek. I heard a shaky sigh.
"Come on Chuck" he said, and I heard the rustle of grass blades as they walked away.
I didn't know how much later Chuck came back and stood right in front of me, holding a plate of food.
"I brought this for you. You need to eat" he said lowly. I stared at him for a while before putting out my hand. He passed the plate over to me and I took a small scoop of the mush. It was cold and bland. Minho would've hated it.
"Are you going to stay out here tonight?" He asked shyly. I shrugged my shoulders as I forced down another bite. Chuck came around and sat in the ground next to me.
"I am. I want to be here when the doors open" he said, staring at the doors. I put the half eaten plate of food on the ground next to me and sighed.
"Chuck, they're not–"
"I have hope," he said, cutting me off, "and you're still here, so you must too".
I sighed. "I'll stay with you" I said. Chuck straightened up at the answer. We sat together in silence, staring at the walls. We heard the low grumble and clicks of the Maze changing, and then a high pitched whine- the unmistakable sound of a Griever. I heard a light gasp escape Chuck and I squeezed his hand- I didn't want him to think we were in danger in here.
The grass rustled unevenly behind me and I turned to find Newt limping towards up with a torch in his hand.
"So you don't get cold" he said with a small smile. By now Chuck had fallen asleep in my lap as I stroked his soft curls. Newt stuck the torch in the ground in front of me and I immediately felt it's warmth.
"Thanks" I replied. He stuffed in his hands in his pockets and leaned back.
"Do you really think they'll make it?" He asked. I sighed and bit my lip before looking up at him.
"I gotta hope they will".
Minho'S P.O.V
I was so close. So so close.
I could see her face, the worry written across it, the tears on her cheeks as she screamed for me.
And then she was gone.
The stupid Greenie that threw himself in here with me helped me carry Alby somewhere. We set him down and I began thinking of places to hide out or sections to avoid. I heard the familiar click followed by a rumble of the Maze walls changing.
"We gotta go" I said, jumping up.
"Minho, we can't leave him here"!the Greenie protested. Without realizing, I had him by the collar of his shirt pressed against the wall.
"Listen up Shuckface. I got a girl in there that I need to get back to. She's my priority. And look around, there's nowhere to hide. So we better start running" I spat.
Next thing I knew, we were pulling Alby up an ivy covered wall. Then, my guy dropped. The familiar whirring of a Griever was coming closer and closer, and all I could think about was Lia.
"Sorry Greenie" I said, and let go of the vine, bolting down the hall. I was going to get back to Lia one way or another.
Lia's P.O.V
We slept outside that night; I quickly remembered as the sun beamed down on us the minute it rose. Looking into the sky, the sun was in an all to familiar position.
"Chuck" I groaned, patting his shoulder, "the doors are gonna open". He quickly opened his eyes and stumbled to stand up, slipping on the dew covered grass. I slowly stood up and made my way to the doors.
After waiting for a few minutes, some of the other Gladers began to join us. The click and rumble of the doors opening filled the air. Butterflies filled my gut as I prayed they were on the other side of that door.
But they weren't.
Tears sting my eyes. Any hope I had that Minho would make it vanished, leaving an emptiness in my soul. For three years I had never been without Minho. I didn't think I could be.
"Sorry Chuck" I heard Zart say quietly, patting Chuck on the shoulder. A frown was apparent on his face as he looked at the ground and turned away. I hung my head and followed in tow, planning on going back to the hut and grieving in peace.
"Hey look!" Zart called. I looked back and my heart swelled. Down the hall, right ahead, was Minho, along with Thomas and Alby. I let out a shaky sigh of relief, tears of joy sliding down my face.
I couldn't help myself. I ran into the Maze, meeting then just past the doors, and jumped into Minho's arms, wrapping my legs around his waist as he picked me up and held me tight. His hands roamed my torso, placing me on the ground and ran his hands through my hair as he kissed me.
"Told you I always come home"