Part 7

I made my way to the Deadheads, taking my time trying not to trip over tree roots and the occasional trap here and there; I spent most of my time indoors, so this was somewhat new territory for me. I eventually found the Runner's hut and took a seat against one of its walls, allowing myself to slide down the side and rest. As I sat, Minho's words replayed in my head over and over: I love you. Words I had never thought I would hear him say, that I'd been longing for, and they made my heart swell.

Crunch.

I whipped around, grabbing a nearby branch and eyeing the direction the sound came from.

"Whoa, it's just me" a familiar voice called. Out stepped Thomas from behind a tree, hands up in defense. I sighed and put down the branch.

"What, thought I was a Griever?" he asked jokingly. I half-smiled and shook my head. Not just a couple of hours ago he emerged from the Maze after surviving the night, and he's already making jokes.

"No. I thought you were one of Gally's gang" I replied. Thomas took a seat next to me and propped his elbows on his knees.

"Minho told you to come here?" he asked.

"I told him i was coming" I scoffed, earning a chuckle from Thomas. He pulled a blade of grass from the ground and ripped it up slowly in thought.

"You're the reason he made it out, ya know" he said in almost a whisper. I looked at him with squinted eyes, watching his movements.

"All he did was talk about you. How he needed to get back to you... He really loves you" he said, turning to me. A small smile formed on my face as I felt myself nod ever so slightly.

"I know" I whispered.

More rustling came from around the corner of the hut, and Minho stepped out, along with Winston, Zart and Frypan.

"This enough?" Minho asked.

"More than enough," Thomas replied, "let's go".

We made our way to the Maze. Just as we were approaching the doors, Minho pulled me back.

"If you're going to try and get me to stay, I already told you I'm not" I said, turning to face him. Minho shook his head.

"I'm not. I just wanted to let you know... It's scary in there. Stay close to me, I don't want anything to happen to you" he said. I smirked and nodded.

I will, don't worry. Now come on, before we get left behind" I said, seeing Thomas and the others run into the Maze. Minho sighed.

"The Shuckface doesn't even know where he's going" he groaned, and ran into the Maze. I laughed as I ran in after him, my feet pounding against the stone floor trying to keep up.

Minho was right. It was scary inside. I couldn't believe he spent every day for the last three years running inside of here. I could only imagine the night he spent in here, running for his life from that Griever. Chills ran down my spine thinking about it. I eyed him running in front of me, and I knew that I could not live without him.

After what seemed like forever making twists and turns, I pounded my way up to Minho.

"Are... we... there... yet" I made out between breaths. My chest was burning at this point, and breathing was becoming difficult.

"Almost" Minho replied. He seemed to be unphased by the long run, which was expected. I groaned and fell back to my normal speed, but still keeping up with the group. After a few more turns we came to a dead end, and the group formed around a wall, disgusted looks on all their faces. As I pulled up, I understood their reaction.