Tryouts

Hey guys! Sorry for the late upload! I spent practically my whole weekend working on a huge language arts project. I better get a good grade...

Anyways, I found an editor who says she can edit very quickly so I'm going to try her out next chapter. Her username is Beely3, fyi.

"Sign ups today!" says Lily cheerfully.

"Sign ups for what?" I ask confused.

"Don't tell me you forgot!" says an appaled Cassie.

"How could you forget?" asks Lily pouting.

"Sheesh. Sorry. What are you guys even talking about?" I apologize.

"Cross country sign-ups and tryouts are afterschool!" explains Cassie.

"Oh...I don't have any clothing. Guess I can't tryout. Too bad." I make a feeble excuse.

"Just use your gym clothes." says Lily.

"But-" I protest.

"No buts! You better be there!" says Cassie as the bell rings. We all part to our first period classes.

School passes by agonizingly slow as usual. I'll spare you the details considering nothing interestig ever happens at school. So. Freakin. Boring. Am I right or am I right?

I change into my new gym clothing. I went down a size as advised by Lily because my other uniform was way too baggy on me. "It doesn't flaunt your figure at all. You might as well be wearing a potato sack to school." I believe the exact words were.

After I walk out of the locker room and join the other ladies, Coach Welsh gives us some instructions. She has short, brown hair, a rather wide, apple-shaped figure, and meaty thighs. Her yellowing teeth, small boobs, and man hands make her highly unattractive.

"What are you looking at?" She barks at me. I blink my eyes; I must have been staring.

"S-sorry Coach Welsh." I stutter. Her dark, black eyes Are shooting a death glare at me and I can't help but feel intimidated by the large, mean woman.

"You will be. Now you're on my bad list and you don't have a very good chance of making the team." Coach tells me, "Staring is rude. Didn't your momma already tell you that?"

"Won't happen again, Coach." I say.

"It better not." Coach says. Why do all the teachers at this school have to be so mean? But not making the team would actually be prefferable...

"Anyways, as I was saying. Track and cross country are two totally different sports. All my returning runners should know that. Track is short distance running. There's also other field sports involved like the long jump, discus, pole vaulting- a personal favorite of mine, and of course herdle jumping. Ecxiting, isn't it? Cross country is for all you slow, turtle-like girls that have good willpower and endurance. Rather than running on a black and white track, many of your runs will be on nature trails and some on closed off parts of roads. Sign up for only one-not both. You need to focus on your one main area of expertise? Ya hear me?" Coach Welsh says.

"Yes ma'am." the other hundred girls and I reply. There are a lot of people here. Maybe a hundred total! I wonder how many people will make the teams...Why do I care, though? I'm going to run badly on purpose, so that I won't make either team.

After some careful thinking, I decide to sign up for cross country. Cassie is doing cross country with me, but Lily is trying out for track. We are split up, unfortunately.

"Well, yeah. Lily's like wayyyyyyy taller than me. Have you seen how long those legs of hers are? Gosh I'm so jealous! I have a more stocky, muscular, athletic build from dancing so often. Lily's really fast-like a bullet! I am not the fastest, but I've ran a half marathon before and won first in my age group. I am fitter than most people our age, so I can run farther than them at a faster pace. I should do good. All we have to run in cross country is a measly 5k. Easy peesy! I'm glad you came to join cross country with me. I really hope we both make the team, so I can have a training buddy! Wouldn't that be fun?" Cassie asks me after a long while of talking.

"Um...yeah. Sure." I said. Truth is, I really didn't hear half of what Cassie said. I was too busy staring at a hot boy running laps around the track without a shirt on. It was none other than James. He is very distracting with all that sweat running down his 6-pack abdominals. I can't take my eyes off of him- James is like a magnet. Unfortunately, Cassie notices my staring.

"Look, you're with Noah now. He's my brother and he's a great guy. I know he'll treat you right, so you have to do the same with him. You can't go around staring at other guys' abs, ecspecially James. You chose Noah and you need to stick with your decision." Cassie says in an angry tone.

I leave Cassie and the track and walk a little ways over to the woods. People are doing kneehighs, stretching, and sprints all over the lacrosse field. A whistle is blown and everyone lines up at the beginning of the field. There is a practice 5k going on and everyone runs across the field to the trail as fast as they can. I just missed the start, but an assistant coach just instructs me to run after them.

I am rather behind and I only drop farther back as time goes on. I am a slow runner. After about ten minutes, the first runners start to lap me. It's embarassing! They just sprint past me without sparing me a second glance. My time at the end of the run is 41 minutes and 02 seconds. I have came in last, but I just tell everyone that my late start caused my time to be that long. I exaggerated a lot.

"Look, I understand you got a late start, but I think you would be better off in track and field. You seem more like a short distance runner." says the assistant coach.

Great. Just great. I ran a 5k for nothing. My legs feel like 200 pound weights and I can hardly even walk. I am stumbling and tripping everywhere as I walk down the hill to the track. Their try-outs are still going on. I sit in the bleachers to watch what is going on.

"You again. Huh? Get your lazy butt of those bleachers. Are you here to try out or just sit there like the lazy bum you are?" Coach asks me.

I stand up quickly while uttering a quick apology and I make my way to to the track. I try short distance running. As I suspected earlier, not my thing. I tried pole vaulting, the high jump, and the long jump. Still no. I am just not talented at all in the area of track and field.

"Hey! Skinny chic! This is your last chance to prove that you can be of some value to this team. That you are not a worthless piece of sh*t or road kill that I want to run over with my car again and again to see how flat I can squish the animal. Got it? Now go try some discus and make me proud!" Coach says to me.

I pick up the blue disk with Coach's words still ringing in my mind.

Roadkill

Worthless

Prove yourself

I bend my arm backwards and then in one swift movement release the round disk. Coach's mouth and my own open wide as it lands right in the target area 25 feet away. First try. Maybe I am good at something afterall!

"Wow. That was a wonderful shot! Thay form was amazing, too! Just beautiful! Why didn't you say that you played discus? I mean, it is clearly obvious! That shot takes years to perfect! And that is if you practice for hours every day! Very unexpected, but very unimpressive. Welcome to the discus team!" Coach says. She is so ecxited she gives me a hug. Her meaty arms squeeze all of the breath out of me and if she hadn't let go when she did, I would've suffocated! Dang! That is some strong squeeze!

The next day the sheets that state who made it go up. A lot of people didn't make the competitive track and field or cross country teams including Cassie and Lily. Cassie is upset, but Lily is positive as always.

"Oh well. Maybe next year!" Lily chirps.

"How could I not be picked?" Cassie says groaning.

I made it when I really had no desire to and they both didn't make the team when they were really training and trying hard. That's ironic. And unfair to both of us.

I can't help, but notice someone else's name on the track and field list. On the 50 meter sprint team...