Child

The phone rang loudly, startling Mark from his thoughts as he weaved through the city traffic.

"Hoffman." He answered brusquely, ignoring the two finger salute he received from an irate driver.

"There's been another incident." The voice replied shortly, "Pretty brutal scene. One girl in her early thirties, one eyewitness. Main Street. Do you think you can make it?"

"Sure. I'll be right there."

He pulled up at the scene and flashed his badge at the officers, glancing towards a young child huddled on the apartment steps.

"Hoffman." The officer called, hurrying over, "That's our eyewitness over there. We can't get any response from her."

"The victim?" Hoffman asked coldly, ignoring the concerned glances of the officer.

He hated children.

"Apparently inflicted this upon herself. She was known as a raging alcoholic in these parts, caused a hell of a storm a few years back. I've tried the kid, but she's not telling. We had to prise her away."

Hoffman shuddered at the thought of the young child, her thin arms wrapped around her cheap jacket, discovering such a gruesome scene.

"Would you talk to her, Detective? You have more experience than me."

"I thought we had other officers to speak to children." Hoffman protested coldly.

"Please."

Mark sighed heavily and headed towards the child, forcing his mouth into the shadow of a smile.

"Hey." He said calmly, "My name is Detective Mark Hoffman. Are you alright?"

"Yes."

"What's your name?" He asked kindly, drawing his pen and notebook from his pocket as he sat beside her.

He really, really hated children.

"Valentino. Freya Valentino."

"Do you have any other relatives who could take you in?"

"My cousin, Romina." Freya replied in a flat tone, eyeing him warily, "She lives on the other side of the city with another friend."

Children did not like him.

He did not like children.

Mark nodded absently and paused as the name sunk in.

"Romina? Cyan's friend?" He demanded roughly.

Freya nodded enthusiastically and smiled wearily.

"Yes, she is my friend too."

'I wouldn't count on it, kid.'

"Moore." Mark called, waving the other officer over, "We have somewhere for the kid to stay. Her cousin lives in the flat opposite mine."

"That's great. I'll get Everton to drop her off after we try and gather some details. Do you think that you could contact the relative and ask them to head down to the station?"

Mark cursed inwardly as he brought out his phone.

"I don't have any number for the relative."

"I have Cyan's number." Freya told him, holding up her phone, "I lost Mina's."

Mark cursed again as he rang the number.

Why her?

Why him?

She answered on the third ring.

"Hey, Freya. What's up?" She asked cheerfully.

"Cyan, it's Mark Hoffman. There's been an incident. Could you possibly come to the station immediately with Romina?" He asked neutrally, trying to ignore his anger.

"Is Freya alright?" Cyan demanded, "Has something happened to her?"

"I can't reveal any information at this time. Please, Cyan." He winced at his tone.

He hated pleading.

"I'll be there in five. Mina, come on! Listen, Mark, about-"

"That's not important now." He responded curtly, "I'll see you shortly."

He handed the phone back to the girl and gestured for her to follow him as another officer-a one by the name of Everton-got into a cruiser.

"Go with Officer Everton. Romina and Cyan will meet you at the station." He informed her, "I'll be there to ask you some questions."

The girl nodded once, the shock setting in as Everton held the door open.

He went to slide into his own car when Moore rushed over with a nervous smile.

"Agent Strahm was asking after you, Hoffman. I just thought that you'd like to know."

Mark nodded and turned the ignition, thinking of the best ways to execute the trap.

"Thanks, Moore. I'll be in touch."

Moore stared at the car as he drove away, but Mark didn't need telepathy to figure out what he was thinking.

'Did Hoffman just thank me?'