The End

He shivered on the tile floor as he waited for it all to end. The chain around his foot seemed to mock him as he gave one final desperate tug.

Mark had failed his test.

He was going to die.

He listened for any signs of life beyond the door, but there was nothing. Not even the sound of Gordon's cane rapping the tiles lightly as it had many days ago, taunting him to roar in his rage.

Gordon had abandoned him for days now; he hadn't even bothered to return and taunt his latest player.

He was so weak.

He was so afraid.

"Mark." A gentle voice whispered from beside him, "Hoffman, look at me."

He turned slightly towards the pipes and covered his eyes.

Cyan Rivera sat next to him on the floor, still dressed in the clothes he had left her in. She was smiling sadly at him as she leant back against the wall.

"Cyan, I'm sorry." He croaked, leaning forward to rest his head against her shoulder as he sobbed, "I didn't want to hurt you. I never wanted to end up like this."

"Don't you think I know that?" She frowned, moving the hair out of his eyes, "It will all be over soon."

Mark ran his hand across her face as he memorised every feature of it, from her warm dark eyes to her thin, pale lips.

How could he have forgotten those eyes?

"Does it hurt, Cyan?" He whispered weakly, trying to keep his eyes open.

"It's just like falling asleep, you won't feel a thing." She promised, leaning towards him, "I'll be with you. You won't be alone. I owe you that much at least."

"Angelina..."

"She's waiting for you, Mark. We're all waiting for you." Cyan murmured, her eyes bright with warmth as he laced his fingers through hers.

"I'm..sorry..." He croaked, closing his eyes. There was no point trying to resist. 

"I'll be waiting for you. Don't be afraid, Mark. I'm here. You can let go."

He smiled properly for the first time in seven years as he felt her hand on his, guiding him into the darkness.

He was no longer afraid.

"Mark." The voice said as he faded away, "I'll be waiting for you."

---