Chapter ten

Deborah's Point of View

"Goodbye Mr. and Mrs. Valentine." I called as I exited the door. "Bye, Deborah. We'll see you soon." Mrs. Valentine called. I closed the door and started towards my house before I could sense someone looking at me. It was pitch black so I could barely see anyone or anything. I growled and looked around, trying to see if I could find anyone. But I couldn't.

I turned wolf and growled louder. I felt like I knew who it was. The smell of this person was so familiar but I couldn't make it out. But it's a smell I knew. I felt a hand on my back and I turned around and nearly snapped it clean off. But I looked up and realized it was only my mother.

I changed back and looked up at her. "I was worried you got hurt or something, sweetheart. So I came looking for you and saw you walking out of the Valentine's home. So I just thought I'd watch you while you walked back home." She said and helped me up. "I didn't know it would scare you so much." She gave a small smile. "It's okay mom." I told her and she hugged me.

But after a second into the hug, she squeezed me to the point where she almost cracked my ribs. "Mom, are you okay?" I questioned. She pulled back and started to sniff me. "What are you doing, mom?" I asked, trying to sound confused even though she probably was smelling me because she smelt Jesse. Jesse... The thought of him just made me want to run to where his pack located and be with him.

"You have an odd smell. Something that isn't supposed to be there. Or something." She said. "Maybe it was Mr. Valentine." I lied. "He was smelling differently when I gave him a hug before I left." I lied again. She shook her head. "No. I saw him this morning. I smell that on you but there's something else." She said, giving me the evil eye. "I'm not sure what you are smelling mother." I lied.

She gave up on it and started walking back home. I slowly followed her. "Hey mom. Tomorrow, could you and I go on a walk?" I asked. She stopped to look at me. "What? Go on a walk?" She questioned. "Yeah. Just some, mother-daughter time on my birthday. Unless... you have things to do tomorrow." I said, looking down. "Of course we could go on a walk." She said. "When?"

"Um.. how about noon?" I asked as we started walking back towards the house. "Noon? Why noon?" She asked. I shrugged, even though she couldn't see it due to being in front of me. "I don't know. Just thought that maybe that would be a good time." I sighed. "Okay, sweetie." She said.

We slowly walked back home in silence. It wasn't a comfortable silence that I started getting used to. It was the very awkward silence that used to always happen when she became alpha.

"So... the big 2 0." Mother sighed. I nodded. "Yeah." She glanced my way. "Twenty years..." She mumbled. "Twenty years since you were born.. Still remember that day like it was yesterday." She told me quietly. I nodded again. "Yes. But it was a long time ago." I told her, not wanting to look at her but did anyways.

We got back home and walked inside in silence. "Well, goodnight sweetheart." She told me when I turned to go into my room. "Goodnight mother." I said and started to walk into my room but stopped. "Um.. I love you." I said to her. She gave me a small smile. "I love you too." She said. I gave her one more nod and walked into my room.