Chapter 70

Kuroro finally saw Kurapica come out of the bank, so he started up the car and drove it over. He stopped in front of the entrance and the blond – although he sort of was a brunette now because of the wig – climbed into the back of the car. The moment the door closed, he drove away.

"Got what we need?" he asked Kurapica.

"Of course, I do," the younger man assured him. "You knew I would, or you would not have sent me in." He brought a hand to his head. "I can't wait to get out of this wig."

Kuroro laughed softly. Well, the boy wasn't wrong. He knew he could do it. More importantly, the young Hunter had followed his instructions and had technically broken a few laws in the process. Things were definitely progressing well. He glanced at Kurapica in the rear view mirror. The younger man was opening the briefcase. He took out a sheaf of papers and started looking through Professor Forkey's finances. Kuroro waited patiently for the reaction that he knew was coming.

"There's something wrong, here," Kurapica said after a moment. "There's money coming in constantly. Hundreds of thousands of zennies every single day. It certainly is suspicious."

"Is it through bank transfers?" Kuroro wanted to know. "Is there a name on it?"

Kurapica looked quickly through a few pages. "No," he said. "It's all money deposits from an ATM. And there's nothing on here that can tell us which machine was used."

"Sounds lie organized crime," the older man commented. "That would explain a lot. That might complicate things a bit."

"How so?" Kurapica asked him.

"Well, you worked for someone associated with the mafia; what is their household like?"

The younger man thought for a moment. "Full or armed, trigger-happy people."

"Exactly." He glanced at the Hunter again. "Someone's asked me not to get rid of anyone, so we'll have to lie our way through."

"I thought that was the point of the disguise from the beginning?" Kurapica commented, tone questioning.

"Well, yes," Kuroro admitted, "sort of. I didn't expect there to be more than a few people at his house, however. We'll have to find a way to get to the Scarlet Eyes and get out without arousing suspicion. Only distracting the old man might not be enough to pull this off."

"I could find a way to get him to show me the Eyes," the younger man suggested, "the distract him while you grab them. If he'd such a pervert as you said, I'm sure he can be convinced to be in the room alone with me."

Kuroro glanced at him. "I don't like it," he commented. "That means you'd have to go in alone. It's too dangerous."

"I can defend myself," the younger man assured him.

"What if they have nen users?" Kuroro objected.

"You could free my abilities," Kurapica sent back.

"No," the Spider Head told him. "I'll not do that just yet."

They'd reached the hotel and parked by then. Kuroro took off the sunglasses he'd nicked from the car owner and threw them onto the passenger's seat. Kurapica got out of the car and slammed the door harder than he really needed to. He started toward the hotel as Kuroro quickly got out of the stolen vehicle and went after him. Neither of them talked. This discussion wasn't something they were willing to have in public. The elevator ride up was tense.

As soon as their door closed behind them, Kurapica turned on him. "Why?" he demanded to know.

"I don't think that I have your loyalty yet," the older man answered.