Chapter 85

Kuroro awoke that morning feeling sated and content. There was something warm against his front, something that shifted and moved against him to the sound of deep breaths taken in slumber. He recognized Kurapica's scent right away. How odd that he would even feel this comfortable sleeping next to someone as he has just done, especially considering just how dangerous the younger man was. It wasn't something that he would have thought even possible, until recently.

Kurapica sucked in a breath and stirred in his arms, and Kuroro found himself automatically tightening his hold on the Kuruta. He could feel the fabric of his own shirt on the younger man; it was such a heady feeling. He wasn't sure what it was about Kurapica wearing something that belonged to him that made him react this way, but it made Kuroro want to just take him again and again, until they were both exhausted and spent. Ah, if only they didn't have so much to do.

They had to get Kurapica some new clothes, now that all of what he had travelled with had been left after the attack. He would have to pay for them if he wanted to keep the younger man happy and compliant. Sometimes, pleasing him was a drag, yet it wasn't all that bad. If Kuroro was perfectly honest with himself, he was having quite a lot of fun. Anyway, he could easily steal whatever money he used on the Kuruta, so he didn't dwell on it too much.

Kurapica stirred again and made a soft sound in his throat, slowing coming awake. Kuroro's arms tightened around him of their own accord once again.

"What time is it?" the blond asked, his words slurred and heavy with sleep.

Kuroro glanced at the alarm clock.

"Seven-thirty," he answered.

Kurapica groaned softly and tried to extirpate himself from Kuroro's embrace. The Spider Head held him a moment longer, then finally let him go. What was even stranger than feeling at peace with a person sleeping next to him was the fact that he had released his hold on Kurapica regretfully.

This was getting dangerous.

Kurapica sat up, made an annoyed little sound and pulled at the shirt, which had fallen off from his left shoulder.

It shouldn't have been so sexy.

The blond sighed, glanced at Kuroro, then, just as he was turning his head to look away, stopped and his eyes slid over to meet the Spider Head's once more.

"What is it?" he asked, somewhat hesitantly.

"Nothing," Kuroro lied, sitting up so that the younger man couldn't study his face too closely.

He pushed himself to his feet and went straight for his bags. He took out two sets of clothes – one for him and one for Kurapica. He could feel the weight of the blond's gaze on his back, but he ignored it.

"I'm going to take a shower," he said without turning around. "Can you make some coffee?"

"Sure," Kurapica answered, the word slightly drawn out.

There was a curious tone in his voice, one that Kuroro couldn't decipher. He paused, finally turning to look at the younger man. Kurapica's gaze was puzzled and confused. Kuroro knew that he was acting strange, quite at odds with his usual self, but he needed to think; he needed to be alone and think.

He made his way into the bathroom and quickly got out of the previous day's clothes. To think that he'd fallen asleep just like this! It was completely uncharacteristic of him. He really needed to get a grip of himself.

He stepped into the shower and set the water to run as hot as he could bear it. He washed his hair slowly, trying to put his thoughts in order.

Contrary to what the blond might be inclined to believe, he wasn't completely immune to sentiment, and he did get attached to a few select, extraordinary people. He had created his own family, in a way, and the deaths of two of its members had affected him. The difference with the wilful Kuruta was that he did not let his emotions control him; he controlled them.