Chapter 91

They didn't get to Sarbenia until noon the next day. They were all glad to finally be out of the car, but Kurapica's young friends seemed particularly eager. They exploded out of the car the very second Kuroro killed the engine. Kurapica followed at a more sedated pace, and Kuroro was soon standing next to him and watching their youngest companions with a bemused look. Hisoka was last out of the car. Kurapica looked at him, then caught Kuroro's gaze, before sliding his eyes to the redhead again. Kuroro followed the silent request and studied the jester. Hisoka was staring at the two young boys, a threatening leer on his face. The Spider Head turned his attention on Kurapica again.

"Tickets," Kurapica reminded them, obviously hoping to divert Hisoka's attention from his friends. "We should buy them early, to make sure we have enough beds for all of us."

"Are we sharing?" Hisoka asked, his disconcerting smile now towards Kurapica.

The blond frowned at him.

"You'll get a compartment to yourself," Kuroro answered in his stead. "The children can share together."

He didn't specify he would share his with Kurapica, but Hisoka heard it anyway.

"Oh," he said, drawing out the sound until it was a mocking, taunting sound.

Kurapica clenched his teeth. The Spider Head could see the way that Kurapica's jaw tightened and his expression darkened. In the end, the Kuruta decided to use his annoyance for something actually productive and stalked towards the train station. He didn't look back to see if the others followed. Kuroro glanced at the youngest members of their group and saw them glance at Kurapica and then go after him, still shoving playfully at each other. Hisoka slid a taunting look his way, then followed after the others. Kuroro was the last to turn towards the building, feeling the need to keep Hisoka in his line of sight. He didn't know if his arrangement with the jester would hold, now that they were actually in the same environment. Hisoka wanted his fight, but he'd accepted to wait. He was fickle, though. Kuroro didn't trust him. He half expected the redhead to turn and attack him at any moment. Funny that he should feel more threatened by one he'd considered part of his team than by the blond who'd sworn to avenge his clan and rid the world of the Spiders.

Kurapica climbed the few steps leading into the building and immediately went for the counter where there was human service, rather than deal with a ticket vending machine. The Spider Head was at his side in seconds, though he leaned sideways against the counter so that he could keep an eye on Hisoka.

"We need sleepers for Kyratin," Kuroro told the teller. "Five people. Is your first class car available?"

"My apologies," the man said, "we're sold out on all of our first and business class sleeper compartments. We only have coach, and I'm afraid the cabins are not close together."

He typed away at his computer for a few minutes and hummed quietly to himself.

"All right," he said at length, "I can give you two cabins on one car, but they're at opposite ends. The other closest cabin I have is two cars down."

"Why is it so crowded?" Kurapica wanted to know.

"Next week's a national holiday," the man explained. "There's a parade and concerts in Kyratin, and then there's a week-long vacation for most workers. Those not headed for the festival are probably going to go sight-seeing and enjoy the weekend. I'm sorry, this is the best I can give you right now."

"Are trains headed out tomorrow?" the Spider Head asked.

"Yes," the teller said, "but I'm all sold out."

"We'll take the cabins," Kurapica said.

"We're going to be cramped," Kuroro warned. "Have you ever been on a sleeper train in the coach section?"