The Breath

Phil fell to his knees in shock.

No, he thought to himself. No. He can't be. The woman cleaned the knife with the underside of her hand. And look down at Phil. She knelt down I front of him and lift his head up.

"Scum like this don't deserve a mother like me." She whispered into his ear. "Just look. Scum. Filth. Like them don't deserve." She started to stroke his hair with the bloody hand. Phil squirmed as the blood trickled down the side of his face.

She then stood up and took Phil's hand in hers and led him through to the living room which was completely silent.

"Sit." She said pointing towards the floor. Phil did as she said and sank towards the floorboards. Dan couldn't be dead. No. He couldn't be. He just couldn't.

"Right." She whispered. "I wouldn't move if I were you." She then walked into the room were Mia was. She left the door open though, so Phil could still see into the room if he leaned to the right a little bit.

Mia hadn't stirred. The woman slapped Mia round the face until she woke. Mia trembled as she got hit over and over again.

"please." Mia whimpered. The woman stopped and knelt down next to Mia and looked her right in the eyes.

"I'm sorry? I didn't quite caught that."

Mia remained silent. The woman then grabbed Mia's hair and dragged her across the floorboards and into the living room. Mia's screams pierced Phil's ears. Mia was then dumped.

Mia then gasped and looked up at Phil, then back to the floor.

"Don't lie. To me." Spitted the woman. "You are a worthless piece of shit. You might as well be dead!" She repeatedly said while she scratched and pulled at Mia's clothing and face. Mia rocked back and forward with her head on her knees.

"Stop." Said Phil gasped. Mia stopped rocking and slowly lifted her head up to face Phil. The woman stopped and looked at Phil in disgusted. And then continued with her taunting. Nothing was going to stop her.

"Mia doesn't deserve to live. The rope and knife are over there Mia. Just grab them. It will all be over within a few seconds. Just a few seconds." The woman cackled. Phil could feel the anger rush through him. No more.

Mia slowly raised herself from the ground and stumbled across the room to where the rope and knife sat. Phil looked frantically around.

"MIA WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" Phil shouted. Mia looked back as the tears formed in her eyes trickled down her face.

"Phil th-this will keep hap-happening otherwise...it's all my fault." Mia sobbed. Phil stood up and walked towards Mia.

"Mia. You know that not true. It's not your fault." He whispered to her. "Nothing ever was."

Phil then realised what he was doing. He could feel the presence of the woman behind him. He couldn't turn around because he was so paralysed in fear.

"Daniel. Oh Daniel." She said patronisingly. Phil felt the blood mix with the tear that were now falling from his eyes. "Daniel? Mia and Phil are here." She laughed wickedly. Phil started to shake and whimper uncontrollably.

That night Phil slept badly. Dan was the only thing on his mind right now. She couldn't have.

The room was dark and freezing cold. Phil needed to leave otherwise he could die here. This was the last place he wanted to die. He slowly lifted himself from the ground and walked towards the room with Dan in. Phil couldn't be by himself...even if the person that he wanted to be with most was dead.

Phil slowly opened the door and saw the silent Dan laying peacefully on the floor. But something seemed wrong. Phil crept closer to the lifeless body and knelt down beside him.

Dan chest was slowly moving up and down.