Cruel Truths

The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
-------------------------------------------

"I was hungry," I blurted out, turning to look at Denzel square in the eye so that he knew I wasn't lying or anything.

And I stared.

He was shirtless.

Uhhhh....

He had on lose pants and yes, that's all. I refused to look anywhere but at his eyes, so honestly I had no idea if he was ripped or muscled or whatever it is that had the female pulse wanting to do all kinds of crazy things.

Then again, I don't think anything about him would affect me. Not when I was sitting near the most gorgeous male of mankind or Vamp-kind or any-kind for that matter.

"Riiiight. And Kiel just happened to be..." Denzel smirked, crossing his hands and leaning against the wall behind him, "awake."

"Uh. Yes." I said, truthfully.

Because it kind of was the truth. Granted I was probably the reason he was awake. I went all crazy-ninja-witch on his tushy.

And what a nice tushy it was too.

Focus, Kiera!

I mentally slapped myself and blinked and realized that Denzel was looking at me expectantly.

I blinked.

"Sorry?" I asked, realizing he'd asked me something.

Denzel smirked like I'd somehow confirmed something by my silence.

Oh, please. Can't someone's brain go on random temporary vacations?

These vacations were happening too often for my comfort. Must have an intervention with my brain. I filed that aside and attached a reminder to it, so that it had permission to pop up randomly in inappropriate situations. Yeah, that ought to remind me to have the talk with my brain.

"I said, how come you didn't wake any of us?" Denzel asked, his smirk back in full action.

I snorted.

"I tried. Not my fault you sleep like someone brained you across the skull."

No need to mention that me trying had actually been on Kiel's door. I wasn't lying. I was just modifying the truth to suit my purposes.

Okay. I was lying. I needed to save my ass, so take me to court.

Denzel frowned. "Oh."

Oh's right, buster.

I shook my head, disappointedly.

"You ate without me. That breaks every rule in every book I know."

Denzel threw me a guilty smile.

"Sorry," he said.

"And poor Kiel here was decent enough to save me some and heat it for me. And what are you doing pray tell? Accusing us of something?"

What a big fat whopper.

I crossed my hands on my chest and tipped my chin up.

Denzel huffed, rolled his eyes and pushed off the wall to ruffle my hair on his way to the kitchen.

"Hey!" I protested, trying to bring my hair back into a semblance of order.

Denzel walked back out of the kitchen with a chilled bottle of water and padded slowly back the way he came....