chapter three

Kendall's POV

"We have to get her." I said to Maddie. She looked at me like I was crazy. Kenzie did too, but there was joy in her enormous brown eyes.

I won't lie, Brynn and I don't get along very well. She's actually the reason I quit dance. I spent years being compared to Maddie and Chloe. But I was not going to be compared to some kid off the streets. Abby never trained Brynn. But she was better than me, at least in Abby's eyes.

Beyond that, Brynn and I simply don't mesh. We're two very different people that just don't have the chemistry to get along. Sure, we can be civil but we'll never be friends. Not in a million years. Not in the lifespans of the stars.

Kenzie's POV

"Really Kendall?" I asked excitedly.

"Of course. Especially if it matters to you. You're like my little sister." Kendall replied, as if it was the easiest thing she has ever said. As if it was obvious she wanted to save Brynn.

"Well how do you suppose we go about doing it?" Maddie, the voice of reason, asked.

"We'll tell our moms we're going on a road trip." Kendall thought of an excuse immediately.

"I'm in." I told Kendall, who beamed at this response.

"And you think they'll let us? We're seventeen and Kenzie is fifteen. They won't let us." Maddie argued.

"Yes they will. But we all have to fight for it. We all have to be a team to make it. And no one else can come, under any circumstances. No moms, not any of the other girls. Just. Us. Three." Kendall made her point clear.

"I'm in," Maddie said.

"Well then we're ditching the mall. We have to get a move on. Pack your bags, babes, we're going on a road trip." Kendall told Maddie and I.

If I'm being honest, I was aphrenrsive but I had Maddie and I had Kendall. I wasn't alone. And I was going to save Brynn.

The three of us got back into Kendall's Jeep and drove back to my house. When we got there, we walked inside and found my mom with Jill. Kendall strutted up to our mother's.

"We're going on a road trip." She told them.

"With who?" Jill asked her teenage daughter.

"Just me, Maddie and Kenzie." Kendall answered.

"No." Mom said.

I wanted to scream. Don't you understand, woman? I'm trying to save my best friend!

"Why not?" I asked angrily.

"Because I said so." Mom replied, shrugging her shoulders.

"Mom, we are not babies. We can handle ourselves on a silly road trip." Maddie argued, knowing that she, as the favorite, would win mom over.

"Madison, I said no." Mom said.

"I don't care. Kenzie needs this trip Mom." Maddie was getting mad at her.

"Then Jill and I can go too." Mom offered.

"No!" Kendall, Maddie and I said in unison.

"You are not going to come with us!" Maddie shouted.

"Madison." Mom warned.

"No. We need this trip and you are not going to ruin it with your stupid overprotective bullshit!" Maddie screamed at mom.

"You're grounded." Mom delivered the verdict.

"Whatever." Maddie stomped off to her room, Kendall and I trailing behind.

"We're going to have to run away," Kendall said quietly.

"What?" I felt queasy as I asked the simple one word question.

"Mackenzie, we have to run away." Kendall insisted.

"It's dangerous." Maddie said.

"I don't care. We have to save Brynn. I'm in." I told Kendall.

"Well, you two will end up dead without me. So, I guess, I'm in too." Maddie sighed before picking up her dance bag and dumping it onto her bed.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Packing," Maddie told me. "K, there's some extra bags in the closet. Grab one, you can pack some of my clothes and necessities unless you have the balls to sneak next door." Maddie offered, even though Kendall was already climbing out the window and shimmying down the pipe. She made it down and stuck her arms up in the air dramatically before hopping the fence into her yard.

"I'll go pack." I told Maddie before I went into my room and dumped out the biggest dance bag I owned before filling it with comfortable clothes I could wear any time of day.

I threw in a big pullover ALDC hoodie, a pullover Pittsburgh State hoodie and a plain black pullover. I put my favorite converse and some socks in there too. I grabbed some campus pants and a pair of jeans along with some t-shirts and three sports bras and obviously underwear.

I put in my iPhone charger, headphones, iPod and MacBook and it's charger. The bag was almost full but I stuffed in a blanket I've had since I was a baby and my unicorn pillow pet.

I took out a large duffle bag and put my comforter and regular pillow and throw blankets in there. I had the bags on my shoulders as I went back into Maddie's room.

Kendall and Maddie were packed and ready to go.

"We leave tonight." Kendall told me.

"Tell Brynn," Maddie whispered. I nodded and pulled out my iPhone.

Me: I'm leaving tonight, Brynnie. Maddie and Kendall are going to help me. We'll try and be there soon but we can't figure things out until we know where you are, Brynn. Where are you?
Unknown Number: You'll never find her.
Me: Who is this???
Unknown Number: If I told you, you'd know where to look. You'll get clues sent from this phone number. If you do not respond to the clues and solve them, your little friend dies. And do not contact the police, I'll kill her.
Me: You're not going to get away with taking her.
Unknown Number: But I already have. IF you find her, I won't be there and she won't know who I am. Good luck, Mackenzie.

"What if they kill her?" I asked after Maddie and Kendall read the conversation between Brynn's kidnapper and me.

"You can't think that way." Maddie told me.

"But what if we can't solve the clues? They're going to kill her and it'll be all my fault." I sobbed into the arms of Maddie and Kendall.

"We're going to solve the clues. We're going to find her." Maddie insisted.

New cover, thoughts?