chapter seven

More and more days passed. But then the days turned to weeks and the weeks turned to months. Maddie and I had been in the care of Chloe and Paige for five months. Brooke hasn't returned so we still haven't seen Brynn or Kendall. It was a Wednesday. Maddie and I woke up to the screaming of the police, who were upstairs. Maddie wanted to scream for help and get out of the torture but I wanted to stay silent and safe.

Maddie didn't listen. "HELP! HELP IS!" My older sister shrieked loudly.

Through the floorboards we could hear the police arguing with a familiar voice.

"Miss Hyland, is anyone in your house besides your sister and friend?" A male officer said.

"No." Brooke lied. When did she come back, I wondered.

"There is. There are girls downstairs! They've been missing for months." Chloe told the officers.

"Shut up, Chloe!" Brooke yelled at her.

"It's true! Chloe isn't lying!" Paige told the police.

"Who is downstairs?" A female officer asked Chloe and Paige.

"There's four girls downstairs. Brynn Rumfallo, Kendall Vertes, Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler. They've been there for months and she made us help. She threatened to kill us!" Chloe cried to the officer. And it was at this moment, we heard footsteps down the hallway of this basement.

Police officers kicked down mine and Maddie's door before taking us down the hall. Kendall was with another officer, whom she pulled away from and ran up to hug Maddie and I. But Brynn was nowhere to be found.

"Where's Brynn!?" I yelled at the officers. But not one officer answered me. Passing by a kicked down door, I saw my best friend dangling from the ceiling.

"Brynn!" I shrieked as tears began to fall. "She can't be dead! No!" I began to fight the officers trying to calm me. Some of the other ones had takes Maddie and Kendall upstairs.

I managed to get into the room and see her. Her face was violently bare and too pale to be alive. Her hair was knotted and she had dried tears on her cheeks. It was her eyes that would haunt me. She was much thinner and now they looked much bigger. They were wide open and I looked straight into them.

"Get her down! She can't breathe!" I cried.

"Honey, she's dead." An officer told me.

"No! She can't be! She's alive! She has to be alive because I can't be alive without her!" I continued to sob. "Take her down!" I screamed.

Two police officers took Brynn out of the noose and lay her on the concrete floor.

"I found you Brynn! We were so close! You didn't have to do this!" I yelled at her, despite her not responding. She truly was dead. I fell into her and sobbed until I couldn't anymore.

I decided right then I wasn't going to live and this is my suicide note. I'm sorry, but I can't be without Brynn. I asked myself What about Brynn? And found that without her, I didn't like the answer or myself very much. I blame myself for her death as I should. I love you,

Mackenzie