Chapter 1

"Hey Bill!" I shout and wave towards my neighbour as I walk along the fence line of the old abandoned shoe factory

"Hey Bill!" I shout and wave towards my neighbour as I walk along the fence line of the old abandoned shoe factory. He smiles and waves at me with his gimpy hand and I cross the cracked road making my way over to him.

"Got anything good Kyrie?" He asks me and I grin at him while sliding my worn out backpack over my shoulder. I zip it open and eye the contents inside, I have my hairbrush, mini mirror, and...

"A-ha!" I grab the ziplock bag with cooked chicken and beans out of my bag and hand it over to a relieved looking Bill.

"You're amazing girl, you know that?" He says as he grabs the food from me with hungry eyes, I laugh in response and plop down beside him pulling out my own bag of food.

As we begin to eat in silence I stare up at the cloudy sky and sigh, being somewhere tropical right now would be incredible. It's been raining for weeks, me and Bill got drowned out of our usual spot and had to make a small set up in the abandoned workforce area of town.

"This tastes really fresh, are they finally getting better food shipments at the kitchen?" Bill asks looking like a king mowing down on a feast and I chuckle at the silly image and nod.

"They've been getting better donations and are even discussing having a couple rooms added." I answer with hopefulness clear in my voice and he laughs sounding giddy at the idea.

Man... If they finally got rooms then Bill could finally have a bed to sleep in, we could have a place to shower and we wouldn't have to hitch hike south every winter. This town was by far my favourite place to be, everyone was kind to us even though we're homeless.

"I can't even remember the last time I had a shower." Bill adds as he finishes up his food and I laugh and elbow him.

"Yea I can smell it alright." He looks at me with a goofy grin and I finish up the rest of my food shoving the bag back into my backpack and standing up.

"I'm gonna go to the park for a bit, I'll bring back some water from the river near there." I throw my bag over my shoulder and put my yellow hood up over my head as it begins to drizzle.

"Be careful Kyrie! Lots of pokers near that park." Bill warns and I smile and wave to him as I set off back down the broken road.

Pokers aren't really scary when they hang around those woods, they're too juiced up on their drugs to care about me. Besides, I've got my lucky pocket knife in case of emergencies. I know Bill would come with if he could but he's got a bad knee and tries to limit the amount of weight he puts on that leg. Even after two long years together it's only been getting worse. The treatment that war veterans get in this country is bull shit.

I wander through the downtown area looking into shop windows as I make my way to the park, gushing over cute dresses and food. I've always wanted to be a chef, have a warm kitchen and three meals a day.