Chapter 4

A/N- Sorry for making you guys wait sooo long, but here it is.... The flashback chapter. Btw- in this chapter Fitz, Biana, Keefe, Dex, Linh, Tam, and Marella. Now on with the magic!

It all started on a dark and stormy night, like a cliche horror movie. The darkness was getting closer and closer. My mother had just had a baby about 5 years before, but the baby had not had proper health care like me because we were poor. She never talked until the day her parents left. My parents left me behind, as they went up north to escape the darkness. They just left me behind with my grandmother.

People would underestimate my grandmother. She was a spy "back in the day" and she could take out a whole army with one knife. My mother did not inherit that at all. In fact she is the exact opposite of that. My mother couldn't even harm a fly. My mother used to say that I was just like my grandmother, strong, dangerous, and adventurous.

My parents left me, alone and confused with the only company of my grandmother. My grandmother didn't really believe in my education, but she let me go to school anyway because I wanted to have a normal life. If I went to school, I had to train with her afterwards. She would show me how to shoot a gun, and how to use a knife. I would go out at dusk everyday, and hunt.

While I was at school, I met him. If you are wondering who him is then it was actually two people. Keefe Scencen and Fitz Vacker. Both of them were a grade above me. I loved riding the school bus because I would always sit behind them. Fitz had strikingly teal eyes, and Keefe had amazing, sandy-blonde hair. Keefe would always flirt with me which was kind of weird because he was a grade ahead of me. But I was okay with it.

I also had other friends. One of them was Fitz's younger sister Biana Vacker. She was so pretty and whenever someone was around her, every eye was attracted to her. She was one of my best friends. One of my other best friends was Dex Dizznee. He is the sweetest guy you could ever imagine. He was amazing with technology too. I also knew the Song twins. Their parents left them a long time ago, because they were embarrassed by them. Linh and Tam never really got over the blow, but were still managed to plaster on a smile everyday. I was also friends with the school's gossip columnist Marella Redek. It always amazed me how she could know everything about everyone. Her mom is a little crazy, so she usually tries to use school to block it out.

Biana would always give me makeovers whenever I was over at her house. Fitz and Keefe were best friends, so they were usually together 24/7. Linh, Marella, Biana, and I would always have sleepovers at each others' houses. We usually went over to Biana's though since she had the largest house. Tam, Dex, Keefe, and Fitz would do the same so then we could be together. After hours, we would sneak into a hidden room Biana's parents did not know about. She had discovered it herself one day. We would then come together and play games like would you rather and truth or dare. It was kind of awkward though because there were crushes inside of our circle of friends. Tam liked Biana, Biana liked Keefe, Keefe liked me, I liked Fitz, Fitz liked Linh, Linh liked Dex, and Dex liked Marella. As you can see it was kind of like a twisted love shape. But I guess thatś what comes with being a teenager. It always pained me to see Fitz try and flirt with Linh. I had Keefe though, and that was all that matters. We were too young to date, but he vowed he would find me and marry me once we got out of school.

Of course in everything there can be beauty, a hint of love, a form of grace. (My friends should get this : D) But through all beauty lies despair, corruption. It all happened one day when we were all walking. I was practically 13 at the time, about Keefe and Fitz's age. I was so happy because I thought I was catching up in age to them. We were walking in the park having a nice conversation when something unbelievable happened. Fitz asked Linh if they could talk privately, and she agreed. I was a little bit jealous, so I eavesdropped on the conversation. Once they got behind a tree, Fitz had looked into Linh's eyes deeply. He then proceeded to kiss her! I was so upset I started backing away.

Keefe had followed me and tried to comfort me. I can still her his words to this day. "Sophie, is everything okay? It has to be okay, I need you." That was all I could remember when I woke up. Apparently I had been knocked out when my head hit a rock. That night I had decided to tell Keefe and Fitz my feelings about my parents leaving. It was so hard on me, so I needed to tell someone who would understand. Dex had asked me earlier that day if everything was okay, which I responded to with, "Everything is okay Dex, just trust me on this one."

That night I had arranged to meet up with them at the moonlark creek, where I would tell them everything. That is when tragedy struck. When I looked out to the lake, the wind was blowing really strong, almost unnaturally. I could hear the boys arguing about something. When I saw them, I could see they were fighting, in hand to hand combat. Just then, the darkness struck. It started pulling on Fitz, trying to dissolve him. Keefe then pulled him out, only to replace Fitz. This time the darkness did not let go.

I started yelling to let him go, but the darkness took the form of a hand and tried to grab me. That's when Keefe did something I would never forget. He said, "Take me, not her. She is not the one you are looking for, it is me... I am the chosen one." With that the hand closed, and Keefe had disappeared. I fell on my knees screaming in agony. Fitz tried to comfort me, but I couldn't deal with him anymore. He had watched his best friend die in front of his eyes, and did not once try to help him. I ran home that day and left school. My friends tried to talk to me, but I refused to see them.

I had so many amazing friends, so it pained me when they all left to go up north. None of them even said goodbye, but I guess I kind of deserved that since I was excluding them out from my life. The darkness had overcome much of the south. Right before another tragedy happened, I got a letter from a neighbor up in the north. They apparently were my parent's neighbors, who lived right across from them in the north. The letter said that the darkness invaded my parents home and killed them. They could not find my sister, she is probably dead.

To make things worse, a day later the darkness invaded my home. My grandmother handed me a gun and a bunch of bullets with poison on them. She said, "Don't fire them unless you need to. Now go, leave this place, go up north to Ms. Smith's spy academy. She will help you." I had said, "Won't you come with me grandma?" Right then the house was invaded and started attacking my grandmother. "Go now!" were her last words to me, before the darkness started trying to dissolve me. I pulled the trigger and once the darkness let go of me, ran my little heart out. Once I got to the north, I trained my hardest so I could get revenge on the darkness for what it has done to my life.

A/N - How was the chapter? I am soooo sorry for killing off Keefe, but don't lose hope. He might come up in a future chapter. Sorry for the long chapter, but there was SO much detail to put into this chapter. Again thanks to my amazing editor Jules.18 for being my editor and helping edit these REALLY long chapters. For future reference, there will be some love interests in future chapters. Until then, - 🏐 Vivister05 🏐