Chapter 5

Oenghus pounded on the front door of the orphanage. It was the only one in Drivel. And the only stone manor in the dock district. Brinehilde watched over the children and tended a shrine dedicated to the Sylph. The shrine was in the courtyard, next to a small pond and sheltered by an ancient oak.

The Sylph's shrines were always outside. And while they lacked the formality of the Blessed Order, Oenghus had told Isiilde that what mattered most to the Goddess of All was how people lived their lives, not the temples where they worshipped.

"Before I forget." Oenghus dropped fifteen silver coins and an entire gold crown into her hand. "You should be able to get a dress with that, right?"

"Yes, thank you." She tucked the coins safely into her own purse.

The metal slat slid back on the door, and a suspicious green eye studied the three visitors. "Why, if it isn't a bloody Saevaldr!" a booming voice echoed from within.

The door opened, revealing a square-jawed Nuthaanian woman who was as tall as Marsais and as sturdy as Oenghus. A chubby-cheeked infant sat on her hip, happily tugging her long red braid.

"Where've ya been, you bastard?" She threw an arm around Oenghus and planted a kiss on his lips, before motioning them through the door.

"The usual," Oenghus answered.

"Don't think I haven't heard about that incident," Brinehilde said. "Thought you'd still be locked up. Wipe your feet, you big oaf!"

Oenghus quickly obeyed, then set down his keg.

Brinehilde's eyes widened. "Is that your cold ward potion?"

"Aye, the best I could brew."

"The Sylph bless you."

"This is for the children." Oenghus handed her half of his recent earnings, then unhooked the flagon that was swinging from his belt. "And this is for you."

"Oh, curse you, Oen." Considering the tears shimmering in her eyes, it wasn't a very sincere threat. "Here, lass, hold the wee one so I can give this lout a proper thanks." Brinehilde dumped the infant into Isiilde's arms. He was every bit as heavy as he appeared.

Having seen several women kiss Oenghus before, Isiilde ignored the pair and began bouncing the child while humming a tune. Babies always went straight for her ears, as this one did now, but she didn't mind, especially when he started drooling with delight.

"I think he has your nose, Marsais," Isiilde said.

"The poor boy. He won't grow into it for near a century." Marsais leaned down to study the chubby face. The baby quickly abandoned her ear, grabbing Marsais' hair and shoving a fistful into its mouth.

The baby looked into Marsais' eyes, and froze, transfixed by what he saw. Drool dripped around a chubby fist.

"Human infants have a remarkable ability to see past illusion," Marsais muttered.

Isiilde narrowed her eyes at her master. And nearly kicked herself. That explained why he looked more ragged than the day before—he'd woven an illusion weave around his hair to dampen the glow.

Brinehilde broke away from Oenghus. "Where's my manners? Isiilde..." The priestess faltered as she looked at the nymph for the first time.

Isiilde froze. Had she done something wrong?

"By the Sylph," Brinehilde breathed. "You're a proper woman now. And beautiful at that. But I'm sure you hear it enough, so I won't fill your head any more than it already is."

Actually, she rarely received compliments. Oenghus was more likely to call her 'sprite' or 'carrot top', and, as far as she could tell, Marsais wouldn't notice if the Sylph herself sauntered naked through a room.