CHAPTER EIGHT (AND A HALF)

hi this is another lil mini chapter thing mabob. (it's in hopes of you all forgiving me for that cliffhanger last chapter.) also this only exists because a couple chapters ago @phangirlfrom2022 said she'd appreciate a chapter even if it was just a letter - and so, VOILA. 

--

Dear Dan,

Do you remember the time we first met?

I do. I think you hated me.

You've always been stubborn. When we first met you were so determined to not like me. Competing with you has always been fun, which I suppose is why I wanted to beat you at your own game, wanted to make you like me.

It'd been my first time out of Leona. At the ripe age of eight years old my father had decided that I was old enough to visit our neighbor, Hirona. Our kingdoms have been allied since about forever, so the journey was nothing more than pretenses and, more importantly, vacation. For me, it'd been the most exciting thing in my life.

It was crazy to me how once we passed the border everything changed. The accents changed, the land changed—even the architecture changed! I was astounded and amazed, and I hadn't even met you yet!

Once we arrived, my father went off to talk to yours about boring old country affairs, and I was left to explore the garden. Being an eight-year-old, this seemed like a great opportunity, and I took to exploring with reckless abandon. Your garden was much bigger than the one I had back in Leona, and I especially liked the towering hedges. Which, apparently, you did as well. After all, the garden was where I first met you.

You were torturing some poor guard, dragging him along with you (as if it wasn't his job to follow the young Prince around everywhere already) and insisting he do whatever you wanted.

"You have to find me the best rock, Alfred," I remember you saying, your chin tilted upward imperiously, though you were much shorter than the guard. "For my rock collection."

"Yes, Your Highness."

Excited to see another kid my age, I plunged forward to meet you.

"Who are you?" you demanded as soon as you saw me, crossing your arms tightly over your chest. I pretended not to notice as you shuffled slightly behind your guard.

"I'm Prince Phillip," I said brightly. You had scoffed, looking as if I'd told you I was a frog.

"I'm the Prince," you sneered.

"I'm the Prince of Leona," I then corrected. You just glared at me. I'm pretty sure you'd never even talked to a kid your age before, and yet for some reason I was determined to become your friend.

"Well then why are you in Hirona?" you'd demanded.

"My father is talking to yours about our ah-lie-ance," I pronounced carefully. I can remember quite clearly that my father had taught me that word on the journey to Hirona, and I'd felt like a genius saying it to you.

You then turned up your nose at me. "I don't think it'll work out," you answered. I'm pretty sure you were just trying to say something mean, not even sure what that alliance thing I'd mentioned even was.

"What's your name?" I had asked, disregarding you completely. You looked affronted, but you also didn't hesitate to answer. I think you were as fascinated by me as I was by you. After all, I was not only a little boy, the same age as you, I was also a prince.

"Daniel," you answered. I nodded.

"Dan," I responded. Your face practically went purple! I remember now! It'd taken all my effort not to laugh at the look on your face!