CHAPTER FOURTEEN (AND A HALF)

Or: the chapter that focuses on bentley and alfonzo that everyone has been begging me for

[this chapter is skippable if you don't care] [but dnp are in it too so you'll miss out on some phan action]

[[also this takes place before last chapter ended, so pre-phil leaving *thumbs up emoji*]]

--

"Bad news," Alfonzo informed, stepping swiftly through the front door of their quarters. It wasn't too big, and housed only a bedroom, bathroom, and living room, but it was good enough for the both of them.

"What's up?" Bentley asked. He'd already changed into pajamas and climbed into their bed, but from the look on Alfonzo's face he wouldn't be able to stay there for very long.

"Dan summoned us," Alfonzo said slowly. "Said he wants to... talk."

Bentley felt the blood drain from his face. He knew he'd been taking it too far. He made inappropriate jokes about his king and the prince, and he'd cussed at them to top it all off. He was going to be kicked out of the castle, or exiled from Hirona. Of course, he could always be hanged, though Bentley didn't know if Dan had ever actually gone through with that before.

"Oh God," he whispered, and sharing a mournful look with Alfonzo, he scrambled out of bed and grabbed his clothes as fast as he could, figuring that he could make up for his dumb, rash actions by not being tardy.

Once they left their quarters, Bentley reached out for Alfonzo's hand. He couldn't help feeling like it would be his last chance to do so—he was starting to get a strong suspicion that he'd be dead after all this.

"Maybe we should just run away," he suggested, once they'd almost finished navigating the path of twists and turns that lead to the king's quarters. "I hear Kaleon is very nice this time of year."

"The king is the best rider on the continent," Alfonzo said confidently. "He'd catch you before you even left the property."

Bentley was nervous sweating—there was no denying this fact. They stopped for a moment before turning the last corner, sharing a nervous look. Alfonzo kissed him, quickly, and then they were striding down the final stretch of hall. They nodded nervously to the night guards, Lin and Elaine, before making their way slowly into the room.

Phil was standing in the entrance, wearing nothing but a long shirt and a pair of high socks. He had a book open in one hand and appeared to be flicking through it.

"Prince!" Bentley said in surprise, and Phil blinked up at him, appearing just as un-advised about this meeting.

"Bentley, Alfonzo," he greeted, seeming completely unabashed by his appearance. Bentley guessed it made sense—he hadn't been the one red-faced when found naked in bed that morning. "What are you doing here?"

"You don't know?" Alfonzo asked incredulously. Phil frowned.

"No?"

"The king summoned us," Bentley informed, and Phil rolled his eyes.

"You two can stop looking so terrified. I won't let him do anything he'd regret."

"I don't think he'd regret murdering us," Bentley muttered, and Phil shook his head, though he was grinning.

"Dan?" he called to the next room.

"I said no!" Dan answered back. "Two rounds is enough—if you touch me anymore I think my dick will fall off."

"No it's not that, we have company," Phil answered. There was a long moment of silence, and then Dan cleared his throat.

"Well now that they've heard that they'll have to be hanged," he answered. Bentley spun around and darted towards the door, only stopping when Alfonzo grabbed his collar and yanked him backwards.

"No need, Your Highness!" Alfonzo called pleasantly. "It's nothing we haven't heard before!" Dan groaned. "You do know your door isn't that thick?" Alfonzo then added.

"Oh my God," Dan said.

"You're embarrassing him," Phil pointed out. Dan stomped into the room, in a similar state of undress, though he looked much more embarrassed about it.

"Don't talk about me like I'm not here," Dan spat, and then he glared at Bentley and Alfonzo. "You two!" he snapped.

"Sir, yes sir!" Bentley cried, which seemed appropriate when Dan was looking at him like that. Dan just shook his head.

"I don't want you to be my guards anymore."

"I knew it!" Bentley despaired. "Move to Kaleon with me?" he said suddenly, turning to Alfonzo and looking at him desperately. Alfonzo's eyes were wide with surprise, obviously not having actually expected to be fired.

"I—"

"Wait!" Dan quickly interrupted. "I don't want you to be my guards because I want you to be my advisors. I've already fired like, seven people," he admitted, chagrined.

Bentley gaped at him.

"We accept!" Alfonzo said quickly, and Bentley got his bearings back enough to nod in agreement.

"Any ideas who'll replace them as guards?" Phil suddenly piped up, and Dan looked at him, his mouth slightly open.

"Aw, God dammit!" he whined.

"Thanks for the promotion, Dan!" Bentley said suddenly. "Goodbye!"

"I—wha—hey!" Dan yelled after them. "It's King Daniel to you!"

Alfonzo was laughing giddily, and Bentley was jumping up and down as they fast-walked down the corridor. Suddenly, overcome with emotion, Alfonzo swept Bentley into his arms and spun him in a circle, laughing into his neck.

"Promoted!" Alfonzo cried, and then they were both standing on their own two feet again, grinning excitedly and clutching each other's hands. "Can you believe it, Bentley? And all you had to do was embarrass the king!"

"I'm a new man, Al," Bentley relayed. "Call me Sir Bentley." At Alfonzo's incredulous look, he added: "Short for Advi-sir Bentley."

Alfonzo laughed and shoved him away, although he just as quickly pulled him back and into a kiss, the two of them unable to stop smiling even then.