Chapter 4: I'm Not Sorry

We entered my uncle's house shortly after I'd quit speaking to my brother and his oh so lovely companion.

And Peter being Peter had soon after quit trying to get a response out of me probably figuring it would be better to let me cool down first. He had just thrown his trademark, 'We will talk about this later' look to which I promptly stuck out my tongue out at.

However childish that may seem, I have never claimed to be the one with manners either, no that was Susan, with good reason, no doubt.

You must be wondering what happened to so ruin my day, other than my brother and Thomas's uncouth humour, well you're about to find out.

So we'd entered my uncle's house and I'd swept past my brother and Thomas without a second thought. Like everything was perfectly usual I called out my usual greeting.

"Aunt, I'm back with your cheese". I paused, no answer. "Uncle I have brought your newspaper in". And for my dear cousin I called rather sweetly as I hurried up the stairs leaving my unexpected visitors behind.

And out of hearing distance.

"When I get my hands on you I'll--" I searched for a suitable punishment for leaving me stranded in town to my brother's devices, he'd probably been in on it, truth be told. "I'll tear that wretched book of yours to pieces!" I exclaimed.

To some my threat might have sounded petty, but I knew how much he adored that book.

And yet again I was about to get another surprise.

My Aunt's voice called out rather stiffly. "Just who are you talking to young lady?"

I blinked, rapidly, trying to come up with an answer to cover my error until a tinkling laugh cut short my scrambling thoughts and a too sweet voice said.

"Oh it's quite alright Aunt, I am still quite accustomed to Lucy's behaviour even after her absence". An angel's voice, hers had been called.

You mean your absence, I thought, rather scathingly, not so much as it might have been if I'd not been back to Narnia again.

And seen Caspian again. Went the direction of my thoughts even with my efforts to keep them under control.

And even with Susan's first insult on her arrival about my behavioural issues, I still felt joy welling up in me to see her.

It really had been a long time.

Once again though I was left to wonder at my brother and sister's unexpected arrival. No word ahead of time or anything. You could see this would count as rude in my sister's etiquette book. I'd have to ask her about that. 

Right then my aunt and sister rounded the corner coming out of my bedroom.

I guess we know where Susan's sleeping right now. I thought  with a little agitation, they could have at least asked instead of just expecting it.

Susan smiled delicately at me and despite her being an annoyance to me already, I launched myself at her, hugging her fiercely. I really had missed her more than I thought.

Laughing, Susan returned my embrace before pulling back to look me over.

"You've grown into a young woman Lu!" She exclaimed like she'd never pictured me as such before. Or seen me as one for that matter. What was the difference between our first reign then in Narnia and now?

It was bound to happen eventually. I didn't say this out loud. 

Susan gestured for me to turn in a circle so she could fully look at me. I shrugged and complied without voicing my complaints.