Chapter 5: One More Night

***Author's Note: Another chapter finally!! Yay :) Sorry this has taken ages to complete, but I promise I will be updating more regularly as I am on Christmas holidays (I live in Australia) until mid February so be prepared for heaps more chapters to come soon***

"Lucy".

I blinked back the tears that threatened to spill down my cheeks, but made no move to get up off my knees. 

A hand landed on my shoulder and I shrugged away from the touch. I stared out over the scarce water of the creek and it brought to mind the thought that it hadn't rained in weeks.

It was dry, barren.

Kind of like how my soul felt at the moment.

"I'm sorry," My brother's voice spoke again from behind me, but this time I distinguished it as being Peter's and not Ed's voice.

I sighed wearily. "For what exactly, Peter?" I felt him watching me but I didn't turn to look at him.

I could picture his sun-darkened features flushing a little as the big brother in him tried to figure out what to say to me, right before the King in him would come out and he'd stop warring with himself and he'd speak to me as the king he was and not the brother.

I didn't mind. I had long since gotten used to this, it was better like that anyway. 

"I-" He stoped and corrected himself. "We didn't mean to upset you." He said this delicately like he was talking to a fragile doll, like I might burst into tears.

The fact that I might actually is completely beside the point.

I glared at the creek some more. "Peter I am-" I turned my body still not quite facing him, and still on my knees, the old splintered wood of the bridge, poking into my knees through my thin summer dress. I ignored it. "I'm not so simple that I can understand when you are being a tease."

"Then, " he started.

So he must have not heard everything. I reached up and brushed my fingers over a tender spot on my cheek, feeling the burning Susan's hand had inflicted and at the same time knowing I was just remembering. The stinging had long passed.

I reached up and grabbed the railing of the ancient bridge, feeling splinters chafe at the soft skin of my palm as I pulled myself up.

"Peter," I paused wondering how much to tell him without revealing why Susan and I had been arguing. "It's not you, it's between Susan and I." 

I looked up into his face for the first time, looking for understanding in his dark eyes, much like mine in colour, not so much in the things they'd seen.

"What happened?" He asked the inevitable, like I would have expected.

I searched for a reasonable response. "It's.......complicated." I said this crossing my fingers that he would leave it at that, and drop the subject. No such luck. 

"Is this about Thomas?" He asked with a smile that suggested he might know more than he let on.

I rolled my eyes heavenward. Aslan save me from men who think they know it all

I contemplated ignoring his question and debated whether I should wipe the knowing smile off his face. In the end I just muttered. "Partly," And added. "I guess". 

I heard Peter take a deep breath, preparing his self for what he was about to say, no doubt.

Wonderful. Was I about to get insulted again?