DR. DHAWAN'S ATTEMPTS

Dr. Dhawan was wrestling with time, and it had him in a bear hug. Manik was about to finish his therapy and move permanently to Mexico. If Manik and Nandini did not meet soon, they would be in different countries, and the likelihood of their meeting in this lifetime would be dramatically diminished. Both of their grief reactions were resolving. Physical symptoms, such as quality of sleep, energy levels, and appetite, were better in both patients.

Their loneliness and their despair of finding a good and loving relationship remained intact.

Anticipating Manik's termination of therapy, Dr. Dhawan had reduced the frequency of his appointments to every other week. Dr. Dhawan did not have much time left.

He arranged for their next visits to be sequential, for Manik to follow Nandini in the hourly schedule that day. Everybody entering or leaving his office has to pass through the waiting room.

During Nandini's session, Dr. Dhawan worried that Manik might not come in for his appointment. Things happen-cars break down, emergencies arise, illnesses develop and appointments are changed.

Manik appeared. Dr. Dhawan walked into the waiting room with Nandini. They looked at each other, and their eyes lingered for longer than a moment. Dr. Dhawan could sense the sudden interest, the hint at worlds of possibilities lying under the surface. Or was this just wishful thinking on his part?

Nandini's mind quickly reasserted its customary mastery, telling her she needed to leave, cautioning her about appropriate behaviour. She turned to the outside door and left the offices.

Dr. Dhawan nodded to Manik, and they walked into his office.

"A very attractive woman," he commented, as he sat down heavily in the large leather chair.

"Yes," Dr. Dhawan answered eagerly. "She's a very interesting person, too."

"That's nice," he said wistfully. His attention had already begun to wander. He turned to the task of terminating their sessions and moving on to the next phase of his life. He had pushed the brief meeting with Nandini out of his mind.

Neither Manik nor Nandini followed up on this encounter in the waiting room. Neither asked for more information about the other. Dr. Dhawan's manipulation had been too subtle, too fleeting.

He decided to try the back-to-back appointments again, two weeks later. Unless Dr. Dhawan chose to become more direct and to breach confidentiality by speaking directly to one or both of them, this would be his last chance. It was Manik's final appointment prior to his move.

They gazed at each other again as Dr. Dhawan escorted her to the waiting room. Their eyes met and lingered even longer this time. Manik nodded and smiled. Nandini smiled in return. She hesitated for a moment then turned to the door and left.

Trust yourself! Dr. Dhawan thought to himself, trying to mentally remind Nandini of an important lesson. She did not respond.

Again, Manik did not follow up. He did not ask about Nandini. He was absorbed by the details of his relocation to Mexico, and he ended his therapy on that day.

Perhaps this is not to be, thought Dr. Dhawan. They were both improved, although not happy. Perhaps this was enough.

Dr. Dhawan's point of view -

You will not always marry your most strongly bonded soul mate. There may be more than one for you, because soul families travel together. You might choose to marry a less bonded soul companion, one who has something specific to teach you or to learn from you. Your recognition of a soul mate may occur later in life, after both of you are already committed to your present-life families. Or your strongest soul mate connection may be to your parent, or to your child, or to your sibling. Or your strongest connection may be to a soul mate who has not incarnated during your lifetime and who is watching over you from the other side, like a guardian angel.

Sometimes your soul mate is willing and available. He or she might recognize the passion and the chemistry between you, the intimate and subtle bonds that imply connections over many lifetimes. Yet he or she may be toxic for you. It is a matter of soul development.

If one soul is less developed and more ignorant than the other, traits of violence, greed, jealousy, hatred, and fear might be brought into the relationship. These tendencies are toxic to the more evolved soul, even if from a soul mate. Frequently rescue fantasies arise with the thought, I can change him; I can help her grow. If he does not allow your help, if in her free will she chooses not to learn, not to grow, the relationship is doomed. Perhaps there will be another chance in another lifetime, unless he awakens later in this one. Late awakenings do happen.

Sometimes soul mates decide not to get married while incarnated. They arrange to meet, to stay together until the agreed upon task is completed, and then to move on. Their agendas, their lesson plans for the entirety of this life, are different, and they do not want to or need to spend all of this lifetime together. This is not a tragedy, only a matter of learning. You have eternal life together, but sometimes you may need to take separate classes.

A soul mate who is available but unawakened is a tragic figure and can cause you great anguish. Unawakened means that he or she does not see life clearly, is not aware of the many levels of existence. Unawakened means not knowing about souls. Usually it is the everyday mind that prevents awakening.

We hear the excuses of the mind all the time: I'm too young; I need more experience; I'm not ready to settle down yet; you are of a different religion (or race, region, social status, intellectual level, cultural background, and so on). These are all excuses, for souls possess none of these attributes.

The person may recognize the chemistry. The attraction is definitely there, but the source of the chemistry is not understood. It is delusional to believe that this passion, this soul recognition and attraction, will be easily found again with another person. You do not run into such a soul mate every day, perhaps only one or two more in a lifetime. Divine grace may reward a good heart, a loving soul.

Never worry about meeting soul mates. Such meetings are a matter of destiny. They will occur. After the meeting, the free will of both partners reigns. What decisions are made or not made are a matter of free will, of choice. The less awakened will make decisions based on the mind and all of its fears and prejudices. Unfortunately, this often leads to heartache. The more awakened the couple is, the more the likelihood of a decision based on love. When both partners are awakened, ecstasy is within their grasp.

***

NEXT: Destiny at work.