Chapter 2

A/N:
I want to thank freckledmyface for all of her support!!! I really appreciate it!!! Also her books are the best I would definitely read them all!!

(America's POV)

I sigh in frustration as I stare into the sky. Maxon had left a few minutes ago, and I was still confused by our encounter. Why had he defended me? Not that it mattered, anyway. He would probably send me home tomorrow and I can see my family and Aspen. Aspen. As I think of him, I feel a flood of different emotions wash over me. It's his fault I'm here, anyway. Originally I wasn't going to sign up, but OF COURSE I did because I wanted to please Aspen. A feeling of hate courses through my veins. He had the guts to 'encourage' me to sign up, then insisted it was for my own good, then dumped me. Of course, a part of me still loves Aspen. I couldn't just get over him in a few hours when we had dated for 2 years! I start to feel sleepy so I head back to my room. I really hope I don't have another encounter with Prince Maxon, as I'm not up for talking to him right now. When I walk into my room, my maids are a buzz of energy. "Tomorrow's the big day, miss! You finally get to meet the prince." One of my maids, Lucy, says. I wondered if I should tell them that I just met him, but I was so tired that I decided not to, considering they might question me and I just wanted to go to bed. Maybe I would tell them tomorrow. As my maids prep me for bed, I run over what had happened today. I grin slightly as I remember punching Celeste. Put her in her place. Ha. I remember meeting my maids,too. They are an energetic bunch, those 3. I'll really enjoy getting to know them.. While I can. I give them a big smile, thinking that it may be one of the last times I may see them, considering I will probably be sent home tomorrow. Which brings my brain to its next point: Prince Maxon. At my encounter outside with him, he didn't seem like the stiff, formal man that I saw on TV. He was energetic, outgoing, and friendly. Huh. I guess I'll see the real Maxon tomorrow when he meets all the girls. Speaking of tomorrow, I am so excited. Not to meet the prince, obviously. But to finally be able to socialize with all the girls and to be able to get to know them. For a few of the girls, it's really obvious they are only in the competition for the crown. For others, it seems like they are in it for the prince but I am not sure. I usher my maids out the door as I slowly drift to sleep...

(4 Hours Later)

I wake up with a jolt. I start to wonder why when I realize I was having a weird dream about my stay at the palace. Oh well. I look over at the clock-maybe my maids will be here soon- and then I see the time. It's 2 am in the morning!! I try to fall back to sleep but realize that my efforts are futile. Instead, I start to realize that my throat is dry. I turn on the lights in my room, looking around for some water. Ugh, there's none here. I leave the room in hopes of possibly going to the kitchen to get some water. As I walk the corridor, I start to hear footsteps. I press myself against a wall to try to conceal myself from anyone passing by. After about 5 minutes, the noise goes away. I walk the halls again, this time more cautious. I hear the footsteps again. Crap! I think to myself.
"Hello. What are you doing out here at such a late time? or should I say early?" I whip around to see King Clarkson quietly chuckling to himself.
"And you are..?" He asks.
"America," I tell him.
"Well Lady America, what were you doing out here?" He says in a firm but gentle voice.
"I-I uh, was looking for some water, um, s-sir." He laughs heartily and says,
"No need to be afraid of me, Lady America. I want your stay at the palace to be as comfortable as possible. Come with me and we can go to the kitchen to get some water." Wow, he's nice, I thought. Much different than the man on TV. As I follow King Clarkson to the kitchen, I become aware of how eerily quiet it is in this palace at night. Or maybe I'm just getting paranoid because it's 2 am. When we get there, the king grabs a cup and starts filling it with water.
"So, Amer-" He is cut off by a loud bang and a crash and suddenly the world around me starts to spin and I black out...

Cliffhanger!! Dont worry, I won't leaving you hanging for long, I will update as soon as I can. And don't forget to check out freckledmyface's books!!! They are amazing!!!