Chapter 25

A/N:
3 Chapters Left!!!

(America's POV)
I run back to my room and get ready for the Halloween Ball. Right now, Silvia and Maxon are touring the families around the castle. Mary gets up from a chair that she's at and gives me my costume. You could tell they worked so hard on it; it was beautiful. The costume was an angel.
(A/N: I know that's not what it was originally but I wanted to change it)
The dress was white and tan, and the sleeves draped to my wrists. The wings sparkled in the light and the shoes were 2 inch heels that also sparkled slightly.
"This is truly beautiful, girls. Thank you so so much!"

(25 Minutes Later)
I walk out of the room, careful not to mess up my costume. I wonder if my family is going to dress up. Probably not. I hope they get to wear something nice, though. I turn around and see May running at me at light speed.
"Be careful!" I yell at her. I didn't want my dress to get ruined. Her dress was a deep purple and her makeup was done to bring out her eyes. She looks truly beautiful.
"May.." I gasp. She's so much more beautiful in the palace gowns than in our regular work clothes.
"I feel spectacular!" She jumps up and down excitedly.
"I'm so excited for this Ball!" She yells.
"Let's go down," I tell her. She bobs up and down cheerfully and we walk down to the party room. Kriss is there already with her family, and May instantly becomes friends with Kriss's little sister. Meanwhile, Kriss introduces me to the rest of her family.
"So you're the one who saved my daughter's life? I am eternally grateful to you!" Her mother gushes.
"I-uh, well-"
"Oh my gosh!!! You did save her!!! Oh my gosh!" Kriss's older sister yells.
"She's amazing!" I hear her father say. I blush deeply and Kriss laughs. Then Marlee's family comes in and she introduces me to them.
"I heard you and Marlee are best friends," her mother says to me.
"Yes! Marlee is my favorite person to talk to around here." I tell her. Soon the rest of the families arrive, as well as the remainder of mine. My father is in a deep conversation with Maxon. Suddenly my palms get sweaty and my heart races. What are they talking about? Me? I want to know so bad!
"Ames! Come on!" My sister tugs my shoulder and we go over to the food. The music starts to play and everybody is laughing and having a good time. I sit down with my sister, Marlee, and her sister. Tears of joy spring from May's eyes at the sight of all this food. I see that Maxon is still talking to my father, but now they are both smiling and laughing with each other. That relaxes me a little. But still, I can't help but wonder if they are talking about me. No doubt they are, but what would Maxon be talking about that relates to me that has to be told to my father in private?
"America?" I turn around and see my mother smiling proudly.
"You look beautiful, America," she tells me.
"Thank you mom. Isn't the food splendid?" I ask her. Honestly, I don't want her talking to me about the palace right now.
"Yes, definitely!" At this point, Marlee winks at me and walks away from the table with her sister. May sits there with a mischievous grin on her face.
"Uh, oh. What's with that grin?" I ask her. My mother has a sparkle in her eye.
"Were you the one that attacked the prince?" My mother says seriously. May is giggling and I shoot her a glare.
"Mom..."
"Tell me the truth! You should not be assaulting the prince!" I don't know why, but May and I burst out laughing. Of course, my father and Maxon decide to return at this point. My mother is shooting daggers with her eyes at me, but no matter what, me and May can't stop giggling. I peer over at Maxon and it sets me into a new fit of laughter.
"What's so funny?" He demanded. It wasn't a mean demand because you could tell he was seriously amused. May points a finger at me and stutters,
"Am-Amer-America!!!" And then she bursts out chortling again. My father cracks a smile and Maxon shakes his head, amused.
"I'll be back," he says, chuckling to himself. May and I laugh to ourselves for a few more minutes until we finally control ourselves.
"So.. What was so funny?" My father asks. Mom, being Mom, says,
"It wasn't really funny! She was the one who assaulted the prince!" She says it so seriously that May and I burst out laughing again. Even my father is laughing now.
"Ugh, you guys.." And with that, my mother walks away to go to the other moms. After we control our laughter, my dad says,
"So the prince likes someone who stands up to him. I like him even more already!" I'm about to question what he means until Maxon saunters over again. My father gets up and leaves, winking at me. May does the same.
"May I have this dance?" He asks, so politely that I burst out laughing.
"Being a gentlemen tonight? And certainly!" He smirks and fakes offended,
"When am I not a gentlemen?" He fake gasps.
"Oh, never. But you know..." I smile and he laughs. We dance to a slow song and Maxon is staring into my eyes the entire dance. Afterwards, he says,
"I'll be back, my dear." I open my mouth to say something but he just smiles and runs off. I dance with a few other people and soon I'm at the food table with Marlee.
"It's a great night, isn't it?" Marlee sighs contentedly.
"The costumes were cool, the food was wonderful, and most of all, we got to see our family!" She smiles in the direction of her sister.
"Do you think they are staying over tomorrow, too?" I ask her. Personally, I hope they do. But then again, we would probably be working on our project for Silvia all day.
"I don't know, but I hope so," she says dreamily. Marlee is acting kind of strangely. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not like her. Whatever; it's none of my business. I look around the room and see that Maxon is dancing with another girl. At first, I feel a pang of jealousy, but then I remember that he's probably dancing with every girl to make it seem equal.
"Marlee?" I ask. She's still dreamily staring at the ceiling. When she hears my voice, she snaps out of it.
"Yeah?"
"Have you danced with Maxon yet?" She nods distantly and then continues to stare at the wall again.
"I think he's dancing with every girl to make it seem equal." She says.
"I think you're his favorite." Suddenly she snaps out of her reverie and looks at me.
"What? That-" Marlee cuts me off and says,
"It's true. The way he looks at you and smiles whenever you are around is just... amazing. He's totally in love with you, America."
"Marlee-"
"Don't question it, America. I can see it, it's true!" She emphasizes the last word and then looks me in the eye.
"I want you to be the queen, America. You'd be the best one we could get." I stare at her, and then soon my jaw drops.
"Marlee-" She cuts me off, once again, and says,
"America, ever since the first day, the time on the plane, I could tell you were different. Good different. You are strong, determined, and good-willed. There's nobody else who would be a better queen." She sits there and looks at my dumbfounded expression.
"What?" She asks.
"I-I don't know what to say," I tell her. She smiles her bright, welcoming smile and then says,
"Well, I gotta go. Look who's coming over." I look up and see Maxon coming over.
"Wait! Marlee!" I yell to her but she's already gone. Sigh.
"I'm saving the best for last," he tells me.
"And that is..." I prompt him, but I already know what's coming.
"You." He drags me onto the floor where people are dancing and then asks,
"So what was that about? Marlee looked like she was talking to you about something serious." I snort.
"It was real serious alright. She was starting to freak me out,"I tell him honestly. I was sarcastic when I told him it was serious, though. He smiles a convincing smile. Should I tell him what she was talking to me about?

Somewhat cliffy!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I made it extra long to make up for the last chapter. I'll be updating soon!! Keep commenting and voting!