The Robotic Explosion

The 1980s marked the beginning of a new manufacturing age. The introduction of industrial robots in car manufacturing plants was just the beginning of the robotic explosion. From the auto factories they spread into every type of manufacturing and now, with the development of artificial intelligence software, they're making a debut even in offices and residences.

While it's true that many good-paying North American jobs were exported to Asia, the truth is that far more jobs were lost to robots in the last thirty years. Blaming the Chinese for the loss of jobs is a convenient, perhaps even useful, smoke screen for the captains of industry to hide behind. But as long as we keep blaming others for steeling jobs, we don't stand a chance of addressing the real issue.

The following dialogue is between two chimpanzees named Abu and Mabu: I use A and M to distinguish the speaker.

-------------------------------------------------

M: Abu, you won't believe what I'm going to tell you.

A: Another story from your captivity?

M: Listen to this. Humans have machines that look like them: they call them robots.

A: Why should I believe you?

M: Because it's true!

A: I've listened to many of your stories about humans, but now I'm beginning to wonder about their truth. This is totally ridiculous and absolutely incredible!

M: But, it's true!

A: Have they gone mad? Why do they need such machines?

M: It's all part of the grand scheme to make the ruling class richer.

A: What do you mean?

M: Unlike humans, robots work around the clock and without pay; but not only that, they don't complain about working conditions.

A: I'll be dammed! The ruling classes have found another way of enriching themselves at the expense of people. But, they still need humans to consume their products!

M: That's why they want the human population to keep growing!

A: But what will the humans displaced by robots do?

M: That's the government's problem, not that of the ruling class!

A: And what's the government doing about it?

M: Nothing.

A: Why?

M: The elite control the government and they don't care about the masses, period.

A: Let me get this straight. At a time when the human population is exploding, and more jobs are needed so that they can feed and shelter themselves, the elites are giving human jobs to robots? Are they nuts?

M: No. Just greedy!

A: And they call themselves human?

M: Of the highest category, no less!

-------------------------------------------------

Our governments support research into robotics, artificial intelligence and other novel technologies, which is fine because it creates well-paid skilled jobs. Corporations take the results of publicly funded research to modernize manufacturing plants with new tools. This too is good because it increases production efficiency, or what we normally call productivity. But, in the last thirty years, productivity gains have been achieved largely at the expense of human jobs.

In a world of more than seven and a half billion people and growing, do we need, or want, robots to keep steeling human jobs?

With global unemployment rates at high levels, particularly for young people, is it time for governments to rethink their policies in the field of robotics research?

Failing that, is it time for governments to rethink the workweek?

Shouldn't workers share some of the benefits of publicly funded research?

All those productivity gains made during the last thirty years have benefited only the corporate world – the one percent. Isn't it time to reduce the workweek so that the other ninety-nine percent can also benefit from the same productivity gains?

Moreover, a shorter workweek would reduce unemployment and put more young people to work. Wouldn't it be good if governments started working for the people that empower them, and not just the elite?