𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯. 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐨

[ xxxv

[ xxxv. only one way to go ]

july 2nd, 2012

➸➸➸

ASTRID LANCASTER WAS GOING home.

Her fingertips grazed the concealed, sharpened set of scissors within her shirt sleeve. She and Beth Greene followed in the wake of Dawn Lerner and her solid brigade of police officers, a procession heading toward the exchange point located on the ground floor of Grady Memorial Hospital.

As they soon came to a sudden halt in one of many barren hallways, Astrid's eyes squinted, peering through the small, square windows carved at the top of the looming double doors ahead. Her heart quickened when she recognized the unmistakable figure leading the group beyond the threshold—none other than Rick Grimes, and closely behind, the love of her life, Daryl Dixon.

Silently, both sides carefully holstered their weapons, over a dozen heartbeats standing at the precipice of an uneasy truce. Amongst the ranks of Rick and Daryl, were Tyreese, Sasha, Carol, and Noah. In Rick and Daryl's iron grasps were the officers to be traded.

Upon Dawn's signal, Astrid passed through the double doors. The corridor ahead acted as a no man's land, separating the two groups by a mere ten feet now. Several officers cleared a path, allowing Astrid and Beth to step closer, finding their places behind the policewoman. Astrid's hand intertwined tightly with Beth's.

Of the many faces at the opposite end of the darkened hall, the Lancaster woman's stare remained steadfast on Daryl. She decided then that she would never lose sight of him again, after this day. In the depths of her heart, she knew that he held the same, as she observed the subtle tremors coursing through his body, his hands practically itching to hold her.

Rick's clear, cautious voice soon wrenched Astrid from her contemplation. "They haven't been harmed," He assured Dawn, gesturing towards the bound hostages at his side.

Yet, in complete dismissal, the woman in charge wore a mask of concern, her stare focused elsewhere. "Where's Lamson?" She questioned.

Had Dawn been expecting three officers instead of two? Astrid's assumption that something had gone awry was almost instantly answered as the female hostage at Rick's side provided an explanation. "Rotters got him," She disclosed quietly.

"We saw it go down," The male hostage confirmed.

Dawn swallowed uneasily. "Oh," She murmured. "I'm sorry to hear that. He was one of the good guys." Then, with a sharp shift in focus, Dawn turned her attention back to Astrid and captured her arm. "One of yours for one of mine," She addressed to Rick.

"All right," The former sheriff concurred with a decisive nod. Then he turned to his right-hand man. "Go," He commanded.

Daryl reacted swiftly and set forward, dragging the male hostage with him, as Dawn began guiding Astrid to meet him in the middle. Daryl hastily pushed the man towards his designated side of the hall, while Dawn presented Astrid to the hunter's care. Endless words reflected in both of their eyes. Daryl's strong arm immediately encircled her waist, pulling her urgently to his side, and he ushered her back to the protective circle of their group.