𝐥𝐱𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

[ lxi

[ lxi. they always come back ]

october 14th, 2012

➸➸➸

AT THE EDGE OF the Hilltop Colony's spacious yard, seated alone on one of its many benches, Astrid's eyes followed Paul 'Jesus' Rovia as he hoisted yet another hefty box of provisions. He marched purposefully toward the RV, which had been recovered from the mud it had been ensnared in earlier. However, as if summoned by the gravity of her watchfulness, Jesus glanced back at Astrid. A small grin pulled across his features, realizing the Dixon woman's stare would not falter, even upon being caught.

"Even Negan didn't score this much upfront," He confessed to Astrid.

"Maggie's a force to be reckoned with," Astrid replied easily. "You can always count on her to move mountains when needed."

There was a glint of admiration in his eyes. Then, with a nod of acknowledgment, Jesus slipped back into the RV, leaving Astrid momentarily alone with her thoughts. Her attention drifted to the sonogram still cradled delicately in her lap. It was a talisman of dreams yet to unfold.

Suddenly, the bench she sat upon creaked under newly added weight. She turned her head, drawing to Rick as he lowered himself down beside her.

Wordlessly, Rick extended his hand, and Astrid's smile widened as she shared the sonogram with him. His eyes traced the lines of the little growing body there, a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. "Looks like you," He chuckled softly. "Congratulations."

"Thank you," She replied, reclaiming the image. "Got any advice for me?"

"The teenage years are the worst."

A snicker, and a twinkle of mischief passed between them, but their laughter was cut short by the approach of Daryl and Abraham. Between them, they were accompanied by another Hilltop man. It was the man whose hand had been broken by her husband only hours earlier. Briefly, Astrid had caught that his name was Andy.

Astrid rose from the bench to meet the trio, Rick steadfastly by her side. Andy's gaze seemed to bristle with natural defiance as his focus shifted to the latter. "What do you want?" He demanded.

Rick hooked his thumbs through his belt loops, casual in his stance. "Jesus said you've been taking supplies to Negan since the beginning," He addressed. "We're going to get Craig back."

Andy frowned. "The only way to get Craig back is to bring them Gregory's head."

Abraham crossed his arms tightly over his chest. "We're going to get Craig back," He promised.

"How?"

"We need to know what you know about Negan's compound," Rick answered. "We need your help. We need you to come with us."