𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱. 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐫𝐨𝐩

[ xxxix

[ xxxix. every last drop ]

august 2nd, 2012

➸➸➸

THE ROAD NORTH STRETCHED out endlessly before Astrid Lancaster.

With each mile, fatigue gnawed at her muscles. With every day that passed, she wished more for a proper night's sleep. Still, she pushed on, her steps fueled by the longing, the dream, to reunite with her family. She hoped that they were safe, together, wherever they were.

Astrid could remember that the scientist, Eugene, who was still such a stranger in her eyes, had spoken of a cure, so it was the only logical reason for her surviving group to still make toward the faraway Washington, DC. But who knew if they had ultimately made it there? Long ago, the fall of the Greene farm had often sent her group careening in aimless loops, with momentary homes thrown into the mix, until they accidentally stumbled upon the prison. Who was to say that they would not accidentally stumble upon another location again?

Maybe the group had split. Maybe others had found a place better to fortify than DC. Or even, perhaps, by now, they had forsaken the idea of Washington altogether. After all, their map was now lost, left in the hands of two strangers turned friends.

Nearly a month had passed since Astrid crossed paths with Morgan Jones. Nearly a month of navigating the open road, effectively turning their backs on the overrun city for the safety of Atlanta's outskirts. Amongst the trees, they survived on the land. In the early days, Morgan had become a staunch protector for the Lancaster woman. He had given her cleaner clothes and armed her with a machete. She had let it slip that the blade was frequently her weapon of choice when firearms were not readily available. And for the past several weeks, they had not been. Astrid had noticed quite quickly that Morgan, himself, was not a fan of guns.

No matter, he had kept them alive, regardless. And along the way, he shared more of his backstory.

Unbeknownst to Astrid, the ties that had rebounded between Morgan and Rick stretched back to the early days of the war with the Governor. Rick, Carl, and Michonne, on a supply run, had encountered him in King County. Rick had briefly mentioned the encounter way back to Astrid, but it had taken her days to really connect the dots between the name and the man who had become her newest ally.

She was beyond grateful for Morgan. Who knows where she might have gone after Grady if she had never met him.

A crackling fire nearby soon snapped the Lancaster woman back to the present, its warmth beckoning her chilled bones. The first light of dawn painted the sky as she huddled closer to the small fire she had crafted. Her gaze then flickered over her shoulder towards a battered car, its hood smashed by its collision with a tree. Despite its damage, it provided shelter enough for Morgan who slept while she kept watch on the edge of the tree line.