Chapter Two: A Touch of Evil

"Now that romance is off the table, I'll just say it. Are we 100% sure that Archie's straight? Because no straight man has that body" Kevin says.
"Well he doesn't seem to be checking any boys out. Sorry Kev I think he's straight" I say
"Speaking of bodies... Have you recovered from finding Jason's? It was more traumatizing having to explain to my dad what I was doing with Moose at the river. Yet another perk of being the sheriff's son" Kevin says as we walk to the office.
"Yeah Kev what did you tell dad?" I laugh at him. Omg Kevin and Moose!
"Oh, my God, those are gorgeous. Are those for Betty, Mrs. Philips? That's why I called her" the secretary said
"Dear Betty, please forgive me, XOXO, V." Who the hell is "V"?" Kevin says reading the card aloud.
"Veronica" said Ron popping into the office,"The yellow is for friendship. I also had Magnolia cupcakes flown in from New York. Because, as my mom likes to say, "There's no wrong the right cupcake can't fix." Also I... I've booked us for hers-and-hers mani-pedis at Chez Salon. Blowouts, too. I am so, so sorry, Betty. I don't know what happened to me that night. It was such a basic bitch move. It was like I was... Possessed by..."
"Madame Satan?" Kevin suggests.
"The old Veronica. And I will never, ever do anything like that to you again. I swear on my mother's pearls. Just, can you please give me one more chance?" Ronnie begs.
"Okay" Betty agrees and I look at her.
"What?" Kevin says shocked.
"Really? Awesome. I'll take it and you won't regret it. Okay. And I'll bring these to lunch so we can celebrate!" Ronnie says leaving.
"Wait Ronnie I'll go with you" I say leaving the two to talk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Good morning, students. This is your principal speaking. There have been many inquiries about the upcoming pep rally. So let me state clearly, it is happening, as scheduled. Now, on a less felicitous note, if you could give your attention to Sheriff Keller. Most of you already know the details, but your classmate Jason Blossom's body was found late Saturday night. So as of the weekend, Jason's death is now being treated as a homicide. It is an open and ongoing investigation" mr weatherbee informs
"And may I interject, neither I nor my parents will rest until Jason's death is avenged, and his cold-hearted killer is walking the green mile to sit in Old Sparky and fry. I, for one, have my suspicions. #RiverdaleStrong" Cheryle says. Ok I get it your brother was murdered but please take it down a notch.
"If you know anything that could help us find and apprehend Jason's killer, or anything about what happened to him on July 4th, I strongly urge you to come forward immediately. You can speak with me or Principal Weatherbee. A death like this wounds us all. Let's not let Jason down" says my father. Well this year just keeps getting better and better. Well time for biology class.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Seats, everyone. Pair off, gloves on, scalpels up" says the teacher.
"Can I be with Cheryl?" Days Archie, ok weird.
"I'll be with...." I say as Ron interrupted me, "And I wanna be with Betty"
"Oh, uh, I was thinking I'd partner with Kevin" Betty says looking at Kev.
"Actually, uh, Keller's with me. We, like, talked" Moose says. Uh Kevin !
"Oh, God" Kev says giving me a look.
"Once again, fate throws us together" Ronnie says.
"I guess your stuck with me" Reggie says grabbing my hand and pulling me towards and empty desk and a dead frog.
"How romantic Reg, we get to dissect a frog together" I say sarcastically. Reg makes the first incision and liquid comes out.
"I swear to god, if you get anything on me Reg I will hurt you" I say seriously looking him in the eye.
"Come on princess you really think I'd do that" he says lifting the frog body closer to me.
"Stop, not cool!" I say standing up.
"Ok. I won't do it again I promise. I'll dissect you write the observations" he says smiling at me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So, what did Moose want?" I ask Kevin.
"Oh, my God, I don't even think he knows. I mean, I am devastatingly handsome in that classic, pre-accident Montgomery Clift kind of way, and sexuality is fluid, but can someone named Moose actually be that fluid? Says Kevin.
"Okay, well, I ship it" Veronica says.
"Well, of course you would. You're a big city girl with loose morals" Kevin says, I just meant that Moose has an official girlfriend, Midge. Anyway, it's terrible to say, but part of me wishes he would just stay in the darn closet. Obviously, I didn't mean literal closet"
"Well he should get his head out of his ass and figure himself out before hurting people" I say worried about my brothers feelings.
"Archie! Any new material you wanna try out on a very forgiving audience?" I ask.
"I..." Archie starts out.
"Please? Would you? I'd love to hear it" Betty says.
"I'm still working on the lyrics, so" Archie says before he begins. " ♪ Come on, turn the radio on ♪ ♪ And, honey we'll dance, dance, dance ♪ ♪ For the rest of the night ♪ ♪ I'm not ready to go ♪ " we all clap for Archie.
"Betty? You okay?" Archie asks and we all look to see a torn up B.
"I'm supposed to say, "Yes." That's what the nice girl always says, but... No, I'm not. I want to be. I thought I could be. But it's too much, too fast. Archie..." she says quickly before getting up to leave.
"Betty. Betty, wait" Arch says running after her.
"Poor Betty" I say watching as they talk. Well another sad lunch for this breakfast club.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
♪ L-E-T-S G-O ♪ ♪ L-E-T-S G-O ♪ ♪ Let's go, let's go ♪ ♪ Go and get it, get it ♪ ♪ Let's go, let's go ♪ ♪ Go and get it, get it ♪
"Stand down, Vixens. And listen up. The weather's predicting a downpour the night of the rally, but already, you're raining on my parade. With Jason so present in our collective consciousness, all eyes will be on me. Will this beautiful, exotic, hothouse flower drown under the town's scrutiny, or be swamped by her emotions? The answer, ladies, is "no" and "no." That said, I need star power. I need the Pussycats. Stay loose and limber, ladies, while I make a call" Cheryl says.
"Dang, she's godzillla again" I chuckle as we stretch.
"After this practice, I'll totally need a pedicure. You?l Ronnie asks Betty.
"I'll have homework" Betty answers
"I know everyone grieves differently, but Cheryl's hosting a pep rally to cope with her loss. That's either brilliant, or psychotic, or both" Veronica says.
"Yeah, well, at least Cheryl's not putting on an act. Pretending she's a butterfly when really she's a wasp" Betty says. Ok things are happening.
"I'm going to let you two talk" I say ready to leave.
" no Izzy stay. For the record, the only reason I went into that closet with Archie was so that Cheryl wouldn't" Ron says.
"Oh, so you did it to protect me?" Betty asks
"Damn straight. Okay, so nothing happened between you and Archie in the closet, then?" Betty asks and Ronnie stays silent.
"how bout we all take a breather" I suggest.
"Yeah, that's what I thought. You know, Archie and I were fine before you got here. Right Izzy?" Betty asks.
"Well you admiring from afar?" I say unsure of what to say.
"If by, fine, you mean he was oblivious and you were pining after him in quiet desperation" Ron says.
"We were friends, at least" Betty defends.
"You were walking on emotional eggshells around him, scared to tell him the truth" Ronnie says
"Okay, you don't know me, Veronica. It is not my fault he doesn't like you. If that's what you're thinking. It's not anyone's fault. It's not even stupid Archie's. It's just how it is. Most of the time the people we like don't like us back. Romeo and Juliet are the exception, not the rule. Look... Never speak to me again. If that's what you want, I'll accept that. But what, exactly, did Archie do wrong?" Veronica says "Are you seriously taking his side?"
"No, I'm not taking any... And this is your way of trying to be friends with me again?"
"The Pussycats are in. Oh, sorry, ladies, am I interrupting?" Cheryl says. She just gravitates towards drama.
"As a matter of fact..." I stat to say.
"No, you're not. Actually, I was about to come and find you, Cheryl. I have a gift certificate for hers-and-hers mani-pedis and blowouts at Chez Salon. Do you want to come with me?" Betty ask Cheryl. Girl really !?
"Don't do this" Ron says
"Butt out, closet monster. You have forfeited your right to take the high and mighty road. As pour moi, Betty, but of course. I never say no to a pedi. And I was just about to suggest the same thing. Can I steal her for a second?" Cheryl says taking Betty.
" what just happened?" I ask.
"I don't even know, see you later iz " and Ron left two.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And Sheriff Keller's grilling me, Mantle the Magnificent. 'Cause I'd want Blossom dead. When he was, like, the only good quarterback we had. And speaking of offensive tight-ends, I should've sent the cops to you, Moose. Because here's another unsolved mystery. What exactly were you and Kevin doing at the river, huh? Or does being with the sheriff's son give you a free pass? Keller?"  Reggie says holding my close to him.
"What about you holding my sister? A Keller? Kev sasses.
"Reggie's just being a blowhard, Kev." I say looking at Reg.
"I don't care what he says. I mean, let's think about it. If a kid at Riverdale killed Jason, it's not gonna be a jock, right?" Reggie works out, "Now let's be honest. Isn't it always some spooky, scrawny, pathetic Internet troll, too busy writing his manifestos to get laid? Some smug, moody, serial killer fanboy freak, like Jughead?" Reggie laughs turning towards Jug. "What was it like, Suicide Squad? When you shot Jason? You didn't do stuff to the body, did you? Like... After?" He asks.
"Really Reggie?" I ask and he smirks and shrugs.
"It's called necrophilia, Reggie, can you spell it?" Jug responds
"Come here, you little... " Reg says getting up.
"Hey shut the hell up, Reggie" arch says trying to stop everything.
"Boys" Ronnie says as Reg gets in Archie's face.
"What do you care, Andrews?" Reggie says.
"Reggie knock it off" I say pulling on his arm.
"Nothing, just leave him alone." Arch says
"Holy crap. Did you and Donnie Darko kill him together? Was it some sort of pervy, blood brother thing?" Reggie say and Archie pushes him into the vendig machine, as I get pulled behind Jughead  a full on fight happens and Archie gets knocked out.
"Oh Arch!" I say getting on my knees to check him out.
"Someone get a teacher" I hear Kevin say as I use my jacket as a pillow begging his head waiting for some help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Now to kickoff this pep rally, I'd like to hand it over to our very own Mayor McCoy" Mr Weatherbee says.
"Thank you, Principal Weatherbee. It is heartening to see so many of you here, even in weather like this. But a lack of heart and school spirit has never been the Riverdale way. Tonight's pep rally isn't like any other we've had in the past. And we shouldn't pretend that it is. Which is why I would like to dedicate this evening to the memory of one of our brightest. Jason Blossom. We're with him tonight. Now please, join me in welcoming to the field our very own River Vixens, and their special guest stars, my daughter, Josie and her Pussycats!" Mayor Mcoy announces and everyone cheers. We run out as Josie starts to sing.

We celebrate as we move out of the way.
"All right, you all ready? Let's make some noise! Put your hands together for the Riverdale Bulldogs" Cheryl announces and the guys run out. And Cheryl looks out into space and then just bolts off the field and Ronnie goes after her.
Everyone quiets down but we resume the game and I run over to Reggie.
"Good luck Reg!" I say hugging him as he lifts me up.
"You are all the luck I need, beautiful" he says and then runs to his teammates.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Hey" I say to the girls as they pack there cheer bags.
"Hey. I saw you and Cheryl" Betty says to Ron, "Not many girls would've done what you did"
"Full disclosure. I've had my share of emotional breakdowns" Ronnie says.
"If you're not doing anything, do you two wanna go get a milkshake at Pop's?" Betty asks
"Are you sure?" Ronnie asks
"Yeah"
"Betty, I'd love that" Ron says
"Lets. Go ladies !" I say putting my arms around them heading off the field.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Here you go. One double chocolate, One cookies and cream and one old-fashioned vanilla" said Pop giving us are drinks.
"Thank you" Betty says
"Betty...Izzy... Can we make a vow?" Ron asks
"Sure" I say
"That no matter what, no boy will ever come between us again. Deal?" Ronnie says
"Deal" Betty agrees taping there glasses together.
"Hell yeah" I join in with them. Betty turn towards Ronnie gaze and so do I.
"Do you guys want to join us?" Betty asks.
"Yes, but only if you're treating" Jug says.
"Veronica Lodge" Ron says sticking her hand out
"Jughead Jones, the third", Jughead says sitting beside her and Archie beside Betty. Good old times!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next day as we sit in Biology. Reggie and I are trying to answer questions when my dad and Mr. Weatherbee come into the class.
"You're here for me, aren't you? Because of the autopsy?" Cheryl says standing up.
"We don't need to do this in front of your classmates" Mr. Weatherbee says.
"It's all right, Principal Weatherbee. They'll find out soon enough" Cheryl says holding her arms out to be handcuffed. Omg!!
"Now, that won't be necessary" my dad says.
"Wait, Cheryl, find out what?" Ronnie asks.
"That I'm guilty" Cheryl says walking out of the classroom.
I look at Reggie with fear in my eyes and he pulls me into a side hug and kissed my head. Poor Cheryl, did she kill her twin?