Chapter Four: The Last Picture

"The Drive-In closing is just one more nail in the coffin that is Riverdale... No, forget Riverdale, in the coffin of the American dream" Jughead starts off, "As the godfather of indie cinema, Quentin Tarantino, likes to say... "
"Please, God, no more Quentin Tarantino references" Kevin groans.
"What? I'm pissed. And not just about losing my job. The Twilight Drive-In should mean something to us. People should be trying to save it" Jughead expresses.
"In this age of Netflix and VOD, do people really want to watch a movie in a car? I mean, who even goes there?" I ask Jughead.
"People who want to buy crack"Kev says
"And cinephiles, and car enthusiasts. Right, Bets?" Jughead says.
"Totally" Betty says, not really paying attention playing with her milkshake.
"Anyway, it's closing because the town owns it, but didn't invest in it. So when an anonymous buyer made Mayor McCoy an offer, she couldn't refuse..." Jughead starts. 'Anonymous buyer? What do they have to hide?" Kevin asks.
"No one cares. I do! Also, you guys should all come to closing night. I'm thinking American Graffiti... Or is that too obvious?" Jughead says.
"I vote for anything starring Audrey Hepburn. Or Cate Blanchett. Or The Talented Mr. Ripley" Ron says.
"I agree with Ronnie, or maybe some kind of action movie" I say, really I would rather what any romance movie. But I am not in the mood at all.
"Betty, your choices?" Jughead asks and she just continues to play with her straw.
"Everything okay, B?" I ask her.
"Yeah, I'm just thinking. Um... Maybe Rebel Without a Cause?" She answers and we chuckle with her.
"Here you go, kids." Ronnie's mom says as she passes out our food.
"Thanks, Mom" Ronnie says.
"Thanks Mrs. Lodge" I say smiling at the waitress beside me. We continue to eat and talk when we hear Cheryl.
"Be sure to put all that cash in the register. You are a Lodge, after all, and Lodges are known to have sticky fingers"
"Cheryl..." Ronnie says going to her booth only to have Mrs. Lodge become a total badass. "Honey, I got this. Cheryl, I went to school with your mother. She didn't know the difference between having money and having class, either"
"Damn V, your mom is a badass" I say and she smiles. And then we hear the door open and close.
"Now, that's an odd combo of people" Kevin says and Betty, Jughead and I turn around to see Archie, Mr. Andrews and MS. GRUNDY!?
"I'll be right back" Betty says starting to stand up.
"No, Betty" ughead says, But is to late, "No. Don't..."
"Wait, what's happening?" Ronnie asks as we wondering what is going on. we see Betty and archie heading outside in what looks like a heated conversation.
"What's happening out there?" I ask the group.
"Do we know? Is it about me?" Ron asks.
"I have a strong inkling, and no. Also, I'd let it go" Jughead says.
"So you know" I question him and he just stays silent.
"you're you, and I'm me. You do you, girl, I'll be back" Ronnie says and leaves and I get up to follow after her.
Once we are outside I hear Betty,"Are you and Ms. Grundy, like, together, like, romantically?"
"Oh, my God. You and your music teacher are having an affair?" Veronica asks, makng are presence know.
"We are... ...together. Look, I know that sounds bad, but..." Archie says.
"Bad? It sounds scandalous" Veronica says
"It sounds like jail time to me. Illegal!" I say out shock, "Archie what have you done now?"
"Izzy, don't go there" Arch says.
"Oh, we already there" Betty says "Ronnie, a little help here?" Arch asks.
"I mean, technically, Betty's right. And ethically... Well, what is Grundy to you, anyway, your girlfriend?" Ron sighs, "Your booty tutor?". I snicker at that one.
"I don't know, I don't know what to call her" Archie admits
"You said you were at the river alone" Betty says
You lied to my dad! The Sheriff, to all of us. Why? To protect her?" I say getting closer to Archie.
"She believed in me when no one else did" he said
"I believe in you, Arch. We all do" I admit, giving him a smile.
"Betty, say something, please" Archie pleads. But before we can he mom pulls up honking the horn.
"Get in the car, Betty" Mrs. Cooper says and I politely wave, even though I don't 100% approve of how she treats Betty. Betty gets up and leaves with her mother.
"Oh, Archiekins... You're in it deep this time" Veronica says to Archie and I walk back into Pop's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Hey Izzy, you want to help me interview Ms. Grundy?" Betty asks.
"Sure..." I say, unsure of what Betty is up to.
"Great Let's go!" Betty says grabbing my arm and puling me towards the music room.
-------------
"Thank you for taking the time, Ms. Grundy" Betty says.
"The Blue and Gold is doing a series of articles spotlighting teachers, and you're our first" I add in.
"Let's begin. Uh, you joined the faculty last year. Where did you move to Riverdale from?" Betty asks.
"Um, here and there. I was just mostly on the road" Ms. Grundy said.
"But you've taught at other schools, I'm assuming?" Betty says as I write everything down to make it look more official.
"Oh, yeah" Grundy laughs, "Of course. Yeah. Right. Um...".
"Can I get their names?" Betty asks.
"Seaside High, Centreville High" she answers.
"What made you leave?" Bettys asks.
"They were temporary placements. Just filling in for maternity, sabbatical, things like that. This is my first permanent position" Ms. Grundy says.
"Getting back to music, you're working with Archie Andrews on an independent study. Have you ever done this sort of thing before?" Betty asks, way to not be to obvious.
"Yes. Last year. Oh. With Tomoko Yoshido and Jason Blossom" She says, Jason !?
"Jason?" Betty asks and I look up.
"Before... Such a tragedy. He was an inspiration" Grundy says
"And pretty cute, right?" I say smiling at Ms. Grundy.
"I don't think of my students that way" she answers.
"No, no, no, no..." B says
"I'm sorry, I really should prepare for my next class" Ms. Grundy says standing up, I guess that is are cue to leave.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It's this quintessential rite of passage, making out with your boy or girlfriend at the movies" I hear Kevin tell Ronnie as I enter the lounge room.
"Why don't we go together? I can't promise you any action, but maybe I'll bring you good luck" I say sitting next to Ron.
"Great. Another night, another two hags" Kevin says.
"Speaking of hags... Veronica, it's so devastating to me that your mother has to sink to such unspeakable lows just to keep those knockoff Hermes bags on your arm. What's next, selling her hair extensions?" Cheryl says walking up to Veronica.
"My mom's a waitress, Cheryl, not Fantine. And your faux concern reeks of ulterior motive. What is it?" Ron says
"Only to remind you of your place in this school, nay, the town's social hierarchy" Cheryl answers.
"Threatened much?" I chuckle.
"Don't worry. You may be a stock character from a '90s teen movie, but I'm not. And what does any of this have to do with my mom being a waitress?" Veronica asks.
"It's just that I saw her talking to a Southside Serpent last night, in the alley behind Pop's. They were having an extremely heated, intimate discussion. See for yourself" Cheryl says showing a picture of Ron's mom talking to a serpent, before walking off.
"Who or what is a Southside Serpent?"
"They're this gang of bikers who pretty much stays on the south side of town" I say.
"And thank God, 'cause they're sort of dangerous. Drug dealers and petty thieves" Kev says
"Then what was my mom doing with one of them?" Ron asks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So much for letting this go" I say approaching Ms. Grundy's car.
"Are we really breaking into Grundy's car right now?" Ron asks, "How do you even know how to do that?"
"My dad and I fix cars together. Thank God, she drives an old..." Betty says opening the cars door.
"Okay, before going any further, if I'm committing a felony, I need to at least ask the question. Are you doing this because you still have feelings for Archie, or..." Veronica asks.
"No, Veronica. We're doing this because Grundy has Archie under some kind of sexual spell, and he won't listen to reason. We're looking for anything that proves Grundy isn't as clean as she says she is" Betty says, "Bobby pin". Ronnie passes one out of her hair
"Okay, Ms. Gyver" I say.
"I learned that from the Nancy Drew detective handbook" Betty says proudly, "Okay, go". And we all get into the car. We find a box in the car and Betty opens it.
"Oh, my God" Betty says.
"What?" I ask, to busy keeping lookout.
"Oh, my God. "Jennifer Gibson"? Who the hell is Jennifer Gibson?" Ron says as I look over her shoulder.
"That's not the only thing" Betty says pulling out a gun.
"Oh, God" I say looking at it. Did she kill J?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ms. Grundy is not who she says she is" Betty tells Archie
"Then who is she?" he asks
"Obviously some sketch-queen named Jennifer Gibson" V responds and I nod agreeing with her.
"Archie, what if she had something to do with Jason's murder?" I say a bit scared, I mean she did know Jason, "She taught him, she made you lie about him, we know she was at the river, she has a gun"
"So does Dilton Doiley, but you never thought he killed Jason, Betty" Archie argues.
"Open your eyes, Archie. Jason was her student last year. Everything about her is a huge, boldfaced question mark" Betty replies
"Okay, whatever her name is, she's not a killer" Archie says
"You didn't ask her, did you?" I say
"About her name?" Arch asks
"And why there's no record of her before last year?" Betty chirps in
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Nice murder wall, True Detective" Kevin says as we walk into his home office, "Here's your High Point, Dad"
"Thanks, bud. You two need somethin'?" he asks
"Can I borrow the truck for the drive-in?" Kev asks and I smile at dad.
"Either of you got a date?" Dad asks.
"No, We are going on a twin date plus Ronnie" I say.
"Oh, okay. I mean, is there not a nice gay kid at your school?" Dad starts off, "what about the boy Reggie, he seems like a great kid". Well one of us likes him I guess.
"Yeah. There is dad and that is Kevin" I start off, "and Reggie was busy?"
"All right" Dad says,"No cruising guys tonight"
"Okay?" Kev says
"We both know what goes on in those woods" Dad says giving Kev a look
"Oh, my God, Dad..." I say
"No, I'm dead serious" dad says "All right, we've got a murderer on the loose and a lot of unsavory characters in that part of town. So, if you go, you stay in the truck"
"All right" Kev says and we head to the drive in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"That hair" Kev says
"That jacket" Ronnie says
"Jason always adored the drive-in" Cheryl says and I smile at her.
"Southside trash. They've been doing that since the opening credits" I say.
"Shh!" Kev says to them.
"Screw off! Nice haircut, you dweeb" they say back to Kev. Rude!
"Hey!" Veronica says standing up on the truck, "You know what happens to a snake when a Louis Vuitton heel steps on it?" she take a quick pause, "Shut the hell up, or you'll find out!". Everyone in the drive in claps for Ron and she takes a quick bow before sitting down.
"I cannot believe you just threatened a gang-banger" I say impressed with Ron.
"I've dealt with worse in the East Village. I just hate when people disrespect my cinematic experience." She replies sipping on her drink,"How about a refill?"
"Yeah, Kev, how about a refill? Cherry cola, as always" Cheryl says
"Come Kev I will join you" I say hopping off the truck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was waiting for Kev to order when a Serpent comes up to me. I just look at my phone waiting for Kev.
"Hey there sexy" He says and I ignore him.
"I am talking to you" He says grabbing my arm.
"let go!" I say pulling my arm back.
"Princess speaks" he chuckles grabbing my chin, "you want to go somewhere on my motorcycle"
"No" I say bluntly, "and please do not touch me"
"I can touch whatever and whoever I want to" He says, grabbing my waist pulling me closer. and I try to get away from him.
"She said not to touch her" I hear Reg say.
"I think you should mind you own business" the guy says walking closer to Reg and I walk farther from the man.
"I am just saying she said that she didn't want you touching her" Reggie says again.
"Oh you think your so tough" the guy says walking towards Reggie and Reg crosses his arms over his chest. Kev is no where to be seen either. What is going on!
"Sexy, come on lets go" the guy yells ready to walk away from Reggie
I walk behind Reg and the guy goes for a swing at Reg. All of a sudden punches are being thrown.
"Reggie stop it!" I yell as people pull them apart. I run to Reg to see a busted lip and a bruised cheek. "oh Reg" I say grabbing his face for a better look. "I am going to get some ice" I say. I grab some ice and head to his truck with him. I wrap his fist as he holds the ice to his face.
"I didn't mean to hurt you" Reggie says breaking the silence. I ignore him continuing to wrap his fist.
"Let me explain, please" He begs.
"I think I am going to go" I say getting ready to open the door, but he locks it.
"Really Reg lock me in here" I grit through my teeth, "Open the door"
"Let's talk please" He begs
"Ok! Explain what? how you lied to the whole team? They all think I had slept with you" I say pissed.
"I only did that, so no one else would try to sleep with you. It was my way of protecting you" Reg admits.
"Reg we are together, I don't think they would try anything" I say
"You never know, with guys like Chuck" Reg says, "and if things stopped working out, they could have a chance"
"So am I booty now, Reg?" I say
"No, I didn't mean it that way" Reg says trying to fix things
"I am kidding! Thank you for telling me Reg" I say, "but I would have rather you not have put me in your play book"
"I am so sorry beautiful" Reg says, "Do you forgive me?"
"Yeah I do" I say smiling at him, "Oh look the movie is over, I better go find Kev"
"I could take you home" Reggie offers
"Thank you, but I will go with my brother" I say and I lean up and kiss his cheek and head out the car door.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where is Kevin? He's not in the truck. I walk around the canteen to look for him. He is not there either? Maybe he is behind it. I walk behind the building to find Kevin against a fence and some guy infront of him, kissing him.
"Uh..shit" I say accidentally a bit to loud, "don't mind me....I will wait by the truck!". I quickly walk away from the two boys, smiling. This was a good evening for the Kellers.
"hey Izzy?" I hear Kev say.
"Cute guy" I say smirking, "He's got a great butt" I tease
"Shutup Izzy!" Kev says getting in the truck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"How'd you like the movie?" Dad asks as we walk the house.
"Quite the twist ending" I say winking at Kevin. We get to the front door only to see it slightly open. Dad tells us to walk behind us and pulls his gun out. We walk towards his office to see everything from the murder wall all gone. I guess not a good evening for all Kellers?!
"Oh, my God" Kevin says.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------