Chapter Three: Body Double

"So, are you a suspect now?" Betty ask.
"My dad says we all are, including me" I say.
"Not me, girl. I don't know these people" Ronnie said. True.
"Guys, should we maybe re-binge Making a Murderer on Netflix tonight?" Kev says.
"Sorry. Can't. Gotta stay late to work on the paper" Betty says.
"Count me out, too. I've got a date tonight" Ron says
"You do? Archie ask. Hmm someone jealous I smirk a bit.
Which Riverdale hottie made the cut?" Kev ask.
"Hey, Vee-Lo. I'll swing by the Pembrooke to pick you up at 8:00?" Chuck says leaving the room with Reggie and Reg winks and me.
"I'll be waiting" v says.
"Cool" and they leave the room
"Chuck Clayton?" Betty says
"You're going on a date with Chuck? He's kind of a player" I say.
"Who cares? He's the hottest of hot, and he's the varsity football coach's son. In Riverdale, that's like dating a Kennedy." Kev says.
"Yeah, we are just trying to protect are friend, Kev" I say.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What?" Ron says as the three of us stare at her.
"So, how'd it go with Chuck?" Kevin asks.
"Chuck has muscles for days, but his conversation is not the stuff of Oscar Wilde, or even Diablo Cody". Veronica says.
"I don't want to hear about anyone muscles except Reggies" I say earnings a nug from Kev.
"Hey, Veronica. How was the Sticky Maple you had last night?" Cheryl's sidekicks ask.
"The what now?" Ronnie asks.
"The Sticky Maple Chuck gave you? How was it?" They ask again laughing off. Oh no he didn't !
"We had a brownie sundae, if that's what you hyenas mean" she says as they walk away.
"Oh, my God" Kev and I say.
"What?" Ron says grabbing the phone.
"What the hell is a Sticky Maple?" Ronnie says.
"It's kind of what it sounds like. It's a Riverdale thing" Kevin says.
"No, Kevin, it's a slut-shaming thing. And I'm neither a slut, nor am I going to be shamed by someone named, excuse me, Chuck Clayton. Does he really think he can get away with this? Does he not know who I am? I will cut the brakes on his souped-up phallic symbol" Veronica lectures.
"Or we can go to Principal Weatherbee" Betty suggests.
"About the coach's son? Who is captain of the football team, and Riverdale High's resident golden boy?" I say," no one will care, no offence Ron"
"Or I can expose him in the pages of the Blue and Gold. Yeah, I can do that!" Betty says.
"No. Spoken like a true good girl who always follows the rules. Well, I don't follow rules, I make them, and when necessary, I break them. You wanna help me get revenge on Chuck,Betty, Iz" "hell yeah" I say and B nods.
"awesome. But you better be willing to go full dark, no stars. What do you say, in or out?" Says Veronica And we follow her down the hall.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Excuse me. Veronica? Betty, izzy, what are you guys doing here?" Arch says holding his towel before it fully fell of and we saw uh... something down there.
"Don't worry about it.I mean it, Andrews. Hit the showers and stay out of my way" Ronnie says walking past him to find Chuck.
"Babe, what are you doing in the boys lockeroom" Reggie says to me.
"Oh we are on a mission and I can't talk right now."I say walking away from him. No boy slut shames my girl.
"Huh, I, B and V. Menage a right on. Ladies" Chuck says embracing are presence.
"This is disgusting. Take it down" Ronnie says.
"Whoa, whoa. Why are you so wound up? It's a badge of honor, and you're not exactly virgin territory after your closet date with Andrews" Chuck says.
"Excuse me" I say moving forward and crossing my arms.
"Okay, that's beyond irrelevant, Chuck. You're not allowed to go around humiliating girls, for any reason, under any circumstances, you jerk" Betty says .
"Look, I get you're not a closet kind of girl, but hey, if you wanna ride the Chuck Wagon, that can be arranged" Chuck says smirking at B. Oh Hell no!
"Let's keep this simple, so that your preppy-murderer half-brain can grasp it. Take. This. The hell. Down" Veronica tries again.
"Okay, that high-toned bitch attitude may have worked on the betas you dated in New York, but you're in Bulldog territory", and some guys start barking, what the fuck, "But please, fight back. You'll only make it harder on yourself" chuck says.
"You do not call my girl a bitch, slut shame her and get away with it", I say getting in his face, "you are scum".
"Oh the sheriffs little daughter has quite the tongue, I can always make room for you too" he says reaching towards me and I slap his hand; and just storm off with my girls. Plan B is now in action.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ethel was about to tell us..." Betty starts as Ronnie walks in.
"One day last year, Chuck and I talked in the library for 10 minutes. I helped him with a Pre-Cal problem, and nothing happened. But the next day, he... He started telling people that I let him do stuff to me. Like, sex stuff. And then he... Or one of his goons, wrote, "Sloppy seconds" on my locker" Ethel says and I put my arm around her.
"Yes, yes, we've all heard your tragic origin story" Cheryl says at the door.
"I'm so, so sorry, Ethel. That's horrible" Betty says.
"Not as horrible as being a suspect in your own brother's torture-murder case, but we all have our crosses. In the meantime, River Vixen practice starts in five minutes, sluts, so..." Cheryl says
"They're ruining our lives, and to them it's just a game. They keep score and..." Ethel continues.
"Wait, what do you mean, keep score?" I say, "this keeps getting worse and more disgusting"
"Each conquest earns them points. They keep track in some secret playbook" Ethel answers
"Okay, we have to talk to Weatherbee" Betty suggests.
" I already tried. Weatherbee said that he didn't find anything" Ethel says.
"Okay, we need undeniable proof" Betty says all reporter like. I like this Betty.
"Proof of what, Nancy Drew? That boys will be boys? And that playbook reeks of suburban legend" Cheryl says.
"How would you know, Cheryl?" Ron says.
"Because, Frida Shallow, before he died, my brother was co-captain of the football team with Chuck, and Jason never mentioned it, and he never would've allowed it." Cheryl says
" why would he tell you about such a thing anyway!" I say.
"Because he's my twin we tell each other everything" she said. Hmm...
"Okay, well, I never met your brother, but I'm not lying about what happened to me. And Ethel's not lying. And proof or no proof, book or no book, I am going scorched earth on these privileged, despicable miscreants. You wanna get caught in that backdraft, Cheryl? Call me, or any of these beautiful, young, strong, intelligent women... "slut" one more time" Veronica says.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Betty, you know Trev Brown, right? Valerie's brother?" Ethel says with Trev behind her I wave at him. He's so shy, what a cutie!
"Hey, what's up?" Betty says.
"Hey" he laughs.
"He used to be on the football team" Ethel says
"But I quit. When I saw Chuck's playbook. And I may know where it is" Trev says.
"Great news! Thanks Trev!" I say hi giving him.
"Football players behaving badly, what else is new? Steubenville, Glen Ridge. The coach's son being the ringleader.I mean, just how depraved is this town?" Veronica says.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We sneak into the school after hours. Ethel, Betty, Ron, Kev and I to find this "legendary" book.
"Colour me impressed" we her a voice. Omg ! "A B and E with B and V. What would your holy roller mother say about this, Betty?" Cheryl's asks.
"What are you doing here, Cheryl?" Betty asks
"And where did you get those thigh-high boots? They're amazing" Kevin says. Gosh my brother
"Trev told Valerie, who told Josie, who told Ginger, who told Tina, who told me. And I thought I would help out" Cheryl admits
"Help? Or derail our investigation?" I say
"Get over yourself, Izzy." She says
"Hey guys, get in here" Ethel says,"Trev was right. They didn't even bother to hide it"
"New girl? Is that what I'm reduced to? Nine points?" Ronnie says.
"Better than "Big girl." Seven point five" Ethel says
"Polly's in this book... Next to Jason's name" Betty says
"So am I" I say, looking at the name written beside mine 'Reggie Mantle'. I felt Kevin look to see and he looked mad and put his arm around me. I can't believe Reg.
"I'm so sorry, Betty. This isn't... Jason would never..." Cheryl starts
"It's right there, Cheryl!" Betty says,"God. Your brother hurt my sister. This is what guys like Jason and Chuck think about women. We're objects for them to abuse. And when they're done with us, they shame us into silence. They have zero remorse for the lives they destroy"
"Maybe I don't know Jason. I'll take a picture. We'll show it to Weatherbee" Cheryl says
"It'll be the perfect cover for your expose, Betty" Ronnie says.
"Yeah, but... No. These girls deserve justice, don't you think, Cheryl?" Betty asks, "You want vengeance? You wanna go full dark, no stars, Veronica?" Betty asks, "I'm with you. And I have a plan"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Welcome all, to the first annual Taste of Riverdale. As a lead-up to our 75th anniversary jubilee, this event proves that Riverdale truly is a town that, when tragedy knocks us down, we get right back up!" Says Mayor Mcoy, "Bon appetit"
"Hi Mr. Keller" I hear a familiar voice. Oh no it's Reggie, I have been avoiding his call and messages.
"Hi Reggie" my dad says "how are you ?"
"I'm great sir, may I steal your daughter?" Reg asks.
"Sure" my dad smiles. We head off to the corner of the room to talk.
"Hey beautiful, why are you avoiding me?" He asks. I just look straight at him. Omg his eye! Wait focus he's a dick!
"I can't talk right now Reggie" I say waking away. He grabs my wrist.
"Just tell me what I did wrong" he pleads.
"I never had sex with you" I whisper and walk away quickly.
"Hey, Riverdale. We are Josieand the Pussycats. Are you ready to rock?" I hear Josie, melody and Val humming as I climb up the stairs to the loft. After I see Archie sneak up there.

"Why are you two sneaking around?" I ask the two boys
"Hi Izzy, I am grounded but I needed to come" Archie said.
"Are you sure it was worth sneaking out for some locally-sourced Munster?" Jughead asks.
"I helped write that song, man " Archie said.
"It sounds amazing Arch" I say and he smiles
" love to stay, but I got to shake down an evil Adventure Scout" Jughead says and head off and I scout closer to Archie and watch my girls with him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Why didn't you tell me you slept with Reggie? Did you use protection? Where was it? Did it hurt?" Kevin says barging in.
"What the hell Kev" I say.
"I'm your twin! We tell each other these things!" He says
"We didn't" I say quietly
"Wait what?" He says while sitting beside me in my bed.
"He lied Kev" I say lay if on my brother, " he lied about having sex with me" I choke out and just start crying in my brothers arms.
"It's ok Is, everything will be fine eventually" Kevin says trying to soothe me.
"I just don't get it" I say sitting up. "Omg I have I go"
"Where?" He ask
"To Ethel's" I say going to my bathroom. I was my face and then head to my closet to find a jacket.
"Ok" Kevin says heading to the door, "we can talk later ok?"
"Sure" I say.
I walk to where Ethel is watching and I see Betty looting maple syrup on Chuck!
"Apologize for ruining Polly." Betty says "What the hell? Oh, my God!" Veronica says
"Do it, Jason! Say you're sorry for destroying me. Apologize for what you did to me!" Betty says. Omg what ?!
"Look, I'm not Jason! I'm not Jason!" Chuck says.
"Betty, that is enough! Stop, it's over!" Ronnie says, "We did it. You did it"
"You are crazy. Oh, my God! You're crazy as hell!" Chuck says getting out of the pool.
"Betty?" I ask coming out the room.
"I'm fine. We're done here" Betty says.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Quite the expose" Ronnie says,
"Whenever did you find the time to write it?"
"Stayed up all night" Betty said, "Couldn't sleep after..."
"Me neither. Betty..." Veronica said, "You both came through for me, in a way that no one else ever has before."
"Can we talk about what happened?" I said
"What do you mean?" Betty asks
"The wig and everything. How far were you gonna take it?" Veronica asks
"Chuck deserved it." Betty said
"I agreed but you called him Jason" I said.
"I didn't do that" Betty said.
"Yeah, girl, you did" Ronnie said, "You called yourself Polly".
"It was like Dr. Jekyll, Mistress Hyde. You became another person" I said as we walked to Betty's locker.
"Okay, I mean... I remember saying Chuck should apologize for Polly, but not because I thought he was Jason" Betty admits.
"Why then?" Ron ask.
"Because... I am sick of guys like Chuck and Jason doing horrible things to girls like me, you, Iz and Polly. Okay?" Betty says walking to class.
"Well I better go to Ronnie" I say heading towards class only to see Reggie coming towards me. I just walk past him even when he keeps calling my name.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Thanks, Betty. Thanks Izzy. Thanks, Veronica." Ethel says.
"Thank you, Ethel, for going on the record. It made all of the difference with Weatherbee" Betty said
"You're the bravest of them all, Ethel Muggs" I say giving her a side hug.
"Hashtag JusticeForEthel" Cheryl says beside us,"Whoever killed Jason hurt him. Maybe Jason hurt people, too. If he hurt Polly, I'm sorry" Cheryl says mostly towards Betty. As the boys from the football team walk down the hall in front of the whole school body. The only thing I see is my eyes locked with Reggie's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------