eight

HERMIONE BUILT UP THE COURAGE to enter the compartment, and slid the compartment door open, already thinking of the best reason for her to be in the compartment. "Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one," she said, surreptitiously looking at Harry Potter.

There was also a boy with bright red hair sitting opposite Harry. He had a large, fat rat on his lap that seemed to be asleep and was holding a wand. It was chipped and the unicorn hair was almost poking out of the end. "We've already told him we haven't seen it," the boy with the red hair said, but Hermione was distracted by the wand in his hand.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then." She sad, and sat down. The red haired boy looked taken aback.

"Er-all right" he replied, and cleared his throat.

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,

Turn this stupid fat rat yellow"

He waved his wand, but nothing happened. Considering the rat was unaffected, Hermione thought that it wasn't a real spell at all.

"Are you sure that's a real spell? Well its not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me. Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I found out, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard - I've learnt all our set books off by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough - I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?" She said, possibly too fast to be understood. Of course, Hermione already knew who Harry Potter was, but she had to play it cool if she wanted to be friends with him.

Harry Potter looked at the red-haired boy with a shocked expression on his face. Had she just managed to impress the Harry Potter? "I'm Ron Weasley" the red-haired boy muttered. Ah, so that was his name.

"Harry Potter" Harry Potter said. Hermione already knew that, but she decided to pretend she hadn't already known that.

"Are you really?" she said. "I know all about you, of course - I got a few extra books for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century."

"Am I?" Harry replied. Hermione was surprised, if she were him, she would've found out as much as possible about herself, and she didn't hesitate to tell him that.

"Do either of you know which house you'll be in?" she asked "I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best. I hear Dumbledore himself was one, but I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad...Anyway, I'd better go and look for Neville's toad. You two had better change, you know, I expect we'll be there soon" Hermione left, closing the sliding door behind her.

She decided to go talk to the driver to see how long it would be until the train arrived at Hogwarts, she could hardly wait! When she got back from talking to the driver, she wandered around the train for a while, when she found herself at Harry Potter's compartment again. She had noticed Draco Malfoy walking out of his compartment not too long ago, and was curious about what had happened.

She walked into the compartment again and was surprised with what she saw. There were sweets all over the floor and both Ron and Harry Potter looked quite dishevelled. "What has been going on?" she looked around again and noticed Ron picking his rat up by its tail.

"I think he's been knocked out," Ron said to Harry, very rudely ignoring Hermione. He squinted at Scabbers. "No - I don't believe it - he's gone back to sleep." The two boys had their own conversation about Malfoy, still ignoring Hermione. She huffily crossed her arms and sighed, not loud enough for them to hear. Ron finally decided to give her the time of day and turned to her.

"Can we help you with something?" He asked rudely.

"You'd better hurry up and put your robes on. I've just been to the front to ask the driver and he says we're nearly there. You haven't been fighting, have you? You'll be in trouble before we even get there!"

"Scabbers has been fighting, not us" Ron, replied, scowling at her, but that was ridiculous. How could a rat fight? "Would you mind leaving while we change?"

"All right - I only came in here because people outside are behaving very childishly, running up and down the corridors" Hermione quickly lied, feeling foolish. Why did she think it was a good idea to come in here? "And you've got dirt on your nose, by the way, didn't you know?" she turned and left.

The train soon came to a halt and Hermione quickly found her luggage and got off the train. She looked around, unsure of where to go, when she saw a lantern and heard a massive voice booming. "Firs'-years! Firs'-years over here! All right there, Harry?" Hermione sighed. She was jealous of how many people Harry Potter already knew. He had come from a muggle background, just like her, so why was he making friends so much more easily? Hermione figured she would just have to try and talk to as many people as possible to make friends.

OMG LOOK WHAT I DID! I WROTE A CHAPTER! WHO'S PROUD OF ME?