one

A cool autumn breeze blew her hair around her face, but she didn't seem to mind

A cool autumn breeze blew her hair around her face, but she didn't seem to mind. The brunette pulled her red leather jacket tighter across her body, hugging her arms over her chest. Her eyes were tired, and the dark bags that sat beneath them were proof of that, but she continued to walk.

The same catchy tune from several nights before sounded throughout the otherwise silent city. Heavy footsteps thudding against the ground, quickly catching up, but managing to stay no more than a few feet behind her.

Her paranoia becoming the best of her, Vanessa picked up her pace and reached for her phone in the pocket of her jeans cautiously. The whistling had stopped by now, causing her panic to grow even more. She turned a sharp corner, and then another in hopes of losing whoever was following her but to no avail.

The brunette beauty whipped around, wild eyes widening at the man who was, even in the dim light, undoubtedly attractive. His undeniably good looks, however, did not make her any less scared.

"Are you following me?"

"No. Well, yes – "

"I'm calling the cops."

"Don't do that," he took a step towards her. "I was only following you because you made me curious."

"Curious of what?"

"Well, after the whole 'I'm a lot tougher than I look' scenario, I kept seeing you out at night," Klaus shrugged. "Made me wonder what a pretty girl like you is doing out so late."

Vanessa rolled her eyes and pushed passed him, continuing down the street, only to have him follow her, this time walking by her side.

"You could be a serial killer for all I know. I could be a serial killer."

"Well, I guess we'll just have to get to know each other and find out, won't we?" He smirked. "Perhaps if we were on first name basis you would feel more comfortable, I'll go first. I'm Klaus, it's a pleasure to meet you..."

The girl walking next to him remained silent in hopes that he would grow bored and leave her alone.

"Are we really not going to talk at all? I know this is weird for you, I'll admit it's a little strange for me too. It's very rare that a woman turns me down." Klaus chuckled. "C'mon, love, that was funny."

They walked in silence for a while. Vanessa would be lying if she said it wasn't peaceful. His presence seemed to calm her usually loud mind.

"See, if I was a serial killer you would've made a vital mistake because now I know where you live." Vanessa shook her head and laughed lightly as they walked up the front steps of her flat. "Ah, so you do know how to laugh."

"Just because you're not a serial killer doesn't mean you're funny," she rolled her eyes, a ghost of a smile on her lips as she unlocked her door and slipped inside without another word.

Klaus skipped down the steps with a grin on his face after she had shut the door.

He would get her to open up to her one way or another.