four

A loud gasp was audible throughout the small flat as Vanessa jolted awake in a cold sweat

A loud gasp was audible throughout the small flat as Vanessa jolted awake in a cold sweat. The brunette beauty sat up, taking deep breaths to calm herself, and pressing her back against the cool metal fridge.

Somehow, in her sleep, she had made her way to the kitchen where she had laid back down next to a yellowing page. This seemed to happen often, she would fall asleep in her bed, only to wake up a few short hours later somewhere strange.

Her shaking hands gently picked up the paper, tears glistening in her now dull blue eyes. Vanessa's thin fingers traced over the messily drawn crayon stick figures in front of a colourful house. The drawing had been the only thing left after the accident that she had wanted to keep. Everything else was too painful to look at.

The tears began to fall rapidly from Vanessa's eyes, guilt filling her mind. She hadn't broken down like this is in months. Perhaps it was due to her lack of sleep. Or perhaps it was because she had stopped taking her medication. There was no way to be quite certain which reason it was.

Vanessa stood up, sticking the drawing back on the fridge with a magnet in the shape of an N. She swiped the tears from under her eyes and headed towards the flat's small bathroom.

The hot water from the shower quickly steamed up the mirror and Vanessa let her dark clothes fell to the floor in a heap before getting in. The water was hot to the point where her usually pale skin was red, but she didn't move an inch. It helped wash away the pain, and made the tears seem less heavy.

She stepped out and wrapped a towel around her body, wiping the steam away from the mirror. Her blue eyes stared at the reflection, hardly able to recognise it as her own.

It would take multiple layers of concealer to cover the dark bags under her tired eyes so she didn't bother. She stopped bothering a long time ago.

Vanessa quickly dried herself off and got dressed, slipping on a pair of shoes as she headed towards the front door. She couldn't stand it in that flat. Although it was miles upon miles away from where the accident happened, Vanessa still felt as if she were haunted by the demons of her past in there.

She locked the door behind her, slipping the key into her pocket as she skipped down the stairs of the porch. Vanessa was only a few meters from the porch when a figure she quickly recognised joined her.

"I suppose you couldn't sleep again," Klaus greeted.

"Ding ding ding, we have a winner," she answered sarcastically. "You know waiting outside my house is kinda creepy."

"And here I was thinking we were friends."

"For the last time, we're not friends," the brunette frowned.

"Well, not yet at least."

Vanessa shook her head, but the small smile growing on her lips said otherwise.