six

Vanessa came to an abrupt stop, her blue eyes focusing on the surprisingly busy diner on the street corner

Vanessa came to an abrupt stop, her blue eyes focusing on the surprisingly busy diner on the street corner. Through the window she could see a little boy, a brightly coloured pencil in his tiny hands, mindlessly scribbling away on a sheet of paper. His blond hair fell over his eyes and he reached up to brush it back, an action Vanessa had seen her younger brother do many times.

The longer she looked, the more the little boy resembled her brother, and the more her heart broke. Her breath was caught in her throat, her feet was planted firmly on the ground; she wanted so desperately to run up to the little boy and tell him how much she had missed him, but she found herself unable to move.

In the millisecond it took Vanessa to blink, the little boy was gone. She blinked a few more times, rubbed at her tired eyes, only to find that when she looked back up, there weren't even any lights on in the diner. It had been closed for the night.

The dark haired beauty turned towards Klaus, but was distracted by a little boy running carelessly in front of her, laughing loudly as he did. She stumbled backwards, not wanting him to crash into her.

Vanessa looked closer, it was the same little boy from the diner. He was closer now, and she could see him properly. He had deep blue eye that were similar to her own, dirty blond hair that desperately needed a cut, and a large birthmark on the side of his neck in the shape of a star.

She gasped audibly, she was now certain that the little boy running around her was her brother. Vanessa reached out to grab him, only to be severely disappointed when she vanished into thin air.

Vanessa's tired eyes had been playing a cruel trick on her; it wasn't the first time they had, either.

"You alright, love?" Klaus' smooth British accent snapped her from her dazed state. "You've just been standing there for an awfully long time."

She part her lips to speak, but nothing seemed to come out.

"Vanessa?" He waved his hand in front of her face, but she seemed to be frozen in place. "Be a good girl. Don't say anything, okay?"

Her tired blue eyes widened in both fear and shock. She couldn't be sure if the words had fallen from his plump lips or if her brain was twisting reality.

"What did you just say?" Her breathing was heavy as she took a step back.

Vanessa looked up at Klaus, only to discover that his perfectly carved face had been replaced with that of the man she feared most. The face that haunted her dreams and stopped her from living a normal life.

A scream began to rise up in her throat, her stomach began to twist and she had the sudden urge to throw up. Strong hands were placed on her shoulder in a horrible attempt gone wrong to calm her down.

"Get away from me," Vanessa spoke shakily, tears beginning to well up in her eyes.

Klaus stood in front of her, confusion written all over his face as he watched the young, pretty girl cower away from him.