seven

Klaus panicked for a brief second, not sure how to handle the situation playing out in front of him

Klaus panicked for a brief second, not sure how to handle the situation playing out in front of him. The ruthless, cold blooded killer part of his mind cursed, wishing he had just left her alone, but the caring part, the part of himself he reserved only for his family – the Nik part – told him to give her the help he never had.

"No, stay away!" Vanessa screamed as he took a step closer. "Stay away!"

"Vanessa, love," he reached out, grabbing her and pulling the significantly shorter girl into his chest. She struggled against his hold, memories she tried so hard to forget surfacing in her mind once more. "It's alright."

"Please," her voice was softer this time, "please don't hurt me."

"I'm not going to hurt you," he whispered.

"Get off of me," Vanessa ignored him, continuing to struggle in his arms, tears now flowing freely down her cheeks. "Please, stop. Stop, get off me!"

"Okay, Vanessa, take a deep breath," Klaus instructed calmly, not quite sure of what he was doing but it seemed to be working so he continued. "Focus on something that makes you feel relaxed, and just remember to keep breathing. You're safe."

After a moment, she stopped struggling and let herself fall into Klaus's chest. She looked up, her blue eyes still wide with fear.

"Klaus?"

"Yeah, it's me," he spoke quietly, not knowing if something else would set her off. "You're okay, you're safe."

Vanessa bit her lip as she slowly pulled away from his warm embrace. She wasn't going to lie, in his arms she had never felt safer.

"Thank you."

"Why don't we get you back home, hmm?" Klaus held out his arm for her to take.

She studied him closely, part of her still unsure whether or not she could trust him. After all, he had been stalking her when they first met. But despite her uncertainty, she looped her arm through his, enjoying the safe feeling she got when she was close to him.

"What happened back there?" He finally asked as they walked back through the somewhat empty streets. "Is it to do with your insomnia?"

"Something like that, yeah," Vanessa shrugged it off. "I don't really wanna talk about it."

"It's unhealthy to keep whatever your feeling or dealing with bottled up."

"I can't talk to anyone about it," she shook her head lightly. "They'll just think I'm crazy."

The pair skipped up the stairs of the porch, Vanessa silently sliding the key from her pocket into the door.

"I won't," Klaus finally spoke. "I won't think you're crazy. I've seen crazy, and you are not."

The young girl opened the door, leaning against the frame tiredly as a yawn escaped her lips.

"Do you want to come inside?" She pointed into the small flat behind her with her thumb, biting her lip anxiously as she waited for his response.

"I would love to," he couldn't refrain himself from smirking as he stepped over the threshold.