Chapter 6

Star was deciding what to wear to the dance. Her heart fluttered as she twirled around her room, imagining what dancing with Marco would feel like. She finally decided, and she walked downstairs to have breakfast. "Morning Marco." She said, digging into her pancakes. "Morning Star. Could you pass the syrup?" 

Mrs. Diaz walked in. "Once again, I think it is so sweet you're going to the dance together as friends!" She said, cheerful as ever. "Yeah...friends.....yay." Star said, trying to sound upbeat. Star and Marco walked to school together. 

Star, desperate for something to talk about, randomly said. "Do you think that...we could ever be a thing?" Marco turned to look at her. "What do you mean?" He asked. "Well, like, if we dated, or something along those lines." Marco thought for a minute. "I guess so....why?" Star quickly came up with a half-decent excuse. "Er-just a thought." Yeah, a thought that she had had for almost a year now! 

They got to school and the seconds ticked by too slowly. Until finally, it was time for the dance. She had put her hair up in a fancy up-do that was nice and curly. Marco was at the bottom of the stairs waiting for Star. After what seemed like ages Star came down. She was wearing a skinny purple dress that complemented all her features nicely, with sparkly diamond-like necklace and earrings that matched the diamond embroidered waist band, and a pair of white gloves that tied the whole look together. The feeling washed over Marco as Star floated down the stairs. 

"You look, amazing." He said. "Thanks Marco!" Star was ecstatic. She had finally captured Marco, the way he was looking at her, with awe and wonder. It made her feel like a true princess. As they walked to school all dressed up, Marco couldn't help sneaking glances at Star. She was beautiful. Marco wondered how long this princess had been hiding behind the face of his best friend. He wanted to embrace her, he wanted to kiss her. But they were going as friends, he had to remember that. 

When they reached the school, lights decorated the walls. Balloons and a shiny disco ball in the center, it was beautiful. After the fun dances and a bit of punch, a complicated waltz played. Marco lead Star to the floor. "Marco this dance is complicated." Marco flashed a mischievous grin that mad Stars heart melt to gush. "What, you assume I don't know how to dance?" Star was taken back when when Marco lead with elegance she could never muster. "Where did you learn to dance like this??" She asked. "My grand-papa was a famous salsa dancer, it's in my blood." Marco answered. "Oh," she said, mesmerized by his swift movements. The song slowed to calmer pace. "And now what happens here," he explained. "You move in really close." Stars heart pounded. "And finally the music uproars!" Marco sent Star spinning brilliantly. She was suddenly stopped. 

After a few quick movements Marco gently dipped Star, sliding his hand down her arm to support her back. And there the song had ended, but all the dancers stayed in the position. Marco and Star frozen, in time, in place. Lips so close Star could feel Marcos shallow breaths. But the moment had to end, for they were tired and needed to straighten up. There they stood in the midst of a crowd not moving. So much heat between them it burned. They didn't talk as they drank punch or as they left. They walked home silently. It was about halfway through the walk home as Star finally said. "Marco I-" 

But she didn't have the chance to answer because Marco whipped around and pressed his lips against hers, hard. Star ran her hand across his cheek, and through his rustic, chocolate colored hair. Marco cradled the back of Stars head with his hand. The other arm wrapped around her waist holding her close. Star's other arm wrapped around Marco's neck pulling her up to his lips. Only when they absolutely were in need of oxygen did they pull away. And even then they held each other close noses and foreheads still touching only for a second just to go in once more. Only when the realization they needed to get home seeped in is when they finally pulled away. They gazed in to each others dazzling eyes, both giddy and full of love. When finally Marco said the words that could build or destroy, shoot lightning or rain, the words Star had been looking for all along. 

"I love you too."