Chapter 7

Janna sat on her bed, sliding a coin between her fingers. She had been trying to get Tom out of her head. So she listed why it would never work out; Tom was a demon, he was her friends ex, opposites attract which means they didn't, and so on. But she couldn't stop thinking about the look in his eyes when he saw her, the way he nervously guided her arm across the blade. She glanced at the knife on her bed stand, then scowled, and, grabbing the knife, she opened her drawer, burying the knife under some newspapers. She had to get over him.

{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}

Marco sat at his desk, spinning slowly in his office chair. He was thinking about Star. He hadn't lied, he did love her, but he was pretty sure he also loved Jackie. Her white hair, her teal eyes. The way she made him relax, something that Star never did. He used to fantasize over Jackie, now his fantasy was reality, along with a new even more unbelievable dream. He had a choice of two amazing girls. One spontaneous and fun, the other mature, cool, refreshing. Two things he needed in his life. But the question still remained. Star...or Jackie?

{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}

Tom caressed the beanie. Her beanie. She had left it at his fortress. He had no intentions on ever giving it back. He wasn't intending on being rude, of course. He just wanted something to remember her. In case she didn't use the knife, in case she didn't want to see him again. Just then, a red line started to be drawn in the middle of the room. The end of a knife pointed out. Excitement boiled inside of Tom, and he stashed the beanie under his pillow, waiting for her to step through. But the only thing that came out of the heart-shaped portal was the knife. Tom bit back a tear. He had to know why. Grabbing the knife he ran at the portal, somersaulting into it like a madman.

Janna screamed as the red-haired demon tumbled into her bedroom. Tom dusted himself off and turned to look at Janna. Janna slowly stepped back as Tom slowly walked toward her, holding the knife. Tom realized what was wrong and threw the knife on her bed. "I-I just wanted to know why." Janna turned away before answering, not wanting to show him her face. "Because...because you're a demon and I'm human and I don't know if you're just using me to get to Star and-" Tom cut her off. "You really think I would use you for Star?" He looked hurt. "You think I'm that bad a person?" They stood in silence. 

"Fine." Tom opened a portal and was beginning to step through, when suddenly Janna grabbed the collar of his shirt and slammed him against the wall. "You're just gonna leave me!" She snapped. "Well listen here, ya' jerk, I've had enough abandonment in my life so I'm not just going to let you throw me aside like a cigarette bud!" They stood there, Tom still pinned against the wall. Janna panting, her chest rising and falling with her deep steady breaths. A black bit of hair hung right over her left eye. Tom hesitantly tucked the stand behind her ear. Tom leaned in. Janna tensed against his breath. She ducked into him. 

Their lips slowly pressed together, in a calm, blissful, innocent kiss. Janna pulled away, still close enough to feel his breath against her lips. A tear rolled down Janna's cheek, a storm of interior emotions scraping the surface. The she grabbed Toms hand. A hissing noise came out, as if something burned his hand like acid. Tom cried out in pain as he crumpled to the ground. Janna dived next to him ripping the hand from the Toms torso. A beautiful light was shining through the his pale demon's skin. Janna awed at its beauty. Tom muttered an ancient saying and the light was consumed by a vile purple cloud. Janna knew that the cloud was bad an the light was good. So why did Tom get rid of it? His skin once again burned at Janna's touch. He scampered away. 

"Get away from me!" He yelled, tears pouring down his face. "What did I do?" She cried out, scared. "You've done enough!" He hissed, then quickly added, still in pain. "Its not your fault!" He shook in agony on the cold hard floor. "I'm sorry!" Janna screamed. She grabbed Tom by the arms, and as he screeched in pain, Janna threw him through the portal, arms still burning.

{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}~{><}

"Star?" Marco stepped into her colossal room. "Right here!" She floated down on her cloud charm and looked at the floor, her feet nervously tapping. Marco turned his head, not able to look at her any more. "Star I wanted to-" He started, but Star cut him off. "You wanted to talk to me about the dance...or perhaps the right after?" Marco, not wanting to torture himself any longer, said. "I asked Jackie out." He finally began to cry. 

"She said yes." He looked up at Star. Tears streaming along, with looks of anger, confusion, and pain. "Why?!" Star asked furiously, trying not to cry her words. "Why, now, after all that, would you do this to me!?" She stomped her foot down hard. "Well, I don't want our friendship to end, and i don't want..to hurt you." Star squinted at him with white fury. "Last time I checked I'm pretty hurt now!" Marco took a step back not wanting to give her any ideas. "Its one thing to break up with a girl I don't know well." He said, too ashamed of himself to look at her. "It's another to break up with my best friend." He said, choking down heavy sobs. 

"Well." Star said. "You've made your choice." She shoved him out of her room and slammed the door. She ran to her bed and loud sickening sobs were muffled through the mattress. While Marco took the music box he had taken from Star and turned the nob. Two figures kissing on a street in the moonlight spun gracefully in a circle. Marco cried.