Three: Fast Times at Grayville High.

The chill of winter bit deeply into my flesh and the stink of bitter tasting fear was rank within my mouth. I did not dare make a noise, though I was tiny, though I was crawling past the dead of my pack, still I persisted. My will to live was like a creature all its own—like a second life within me.

Fires licked at the village deep in the northern woods of Canada. It would be soothing—if not for the death and carnage—if not for what it burned. The cooking flesh of the dead was vile and rank, yet I managed to swallow back the bile in my throat. Daddy always told me to be a big girl, to never show my fear—never show my weakness. He taught me that I would be the alpha, so I had to be strong—to be brave.

I felt the link to my daddy go dead and my world crashed upon me. I lost connection to my mommy moments later and I was bordering on hysteria now. Crossbow bolts rained down upon me, but I felt hot hands pull me flush to them. I herd the slight grunt, when one of the bolts struck my savior in the right shoulder. He plucked it out and the wound slowly closed right in front of my eyes, just like it did for daddy. I knew that only powerful alphas healed this fast, so my savior was lycan and alpha.

He murmured lowly into my ear, "Come on sweetheart, let me get you safely to my pack."

Safe?

Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang!

"Jenna, I swear I will drag you to school myself if I have to," Ele's obnoxious voice rang in my sleepy ears and I roared at the door, as if I could kill the damn wood.

Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang!

"Jenna, if you don't get up now, I will let Clay's brother try to wake you up."

I popped up from my bed and I yelled at the door, "If you do that, then me and Victor are going on strike."

"Oh, good, you're up, now can I come in?"

I groaned at her through the door and said, "You're the damn alpha, like I actually get a choice in this matter."

Ele opened the door, she was dressed in her usual loose sweats and a plain grey t-shirt. Her red hair was tussled from whatever morning activities she was up to with Clay and her cheeks were still pink.

"Well, I see one of us is having a pleasant morning," I snarked at Ele and she rolled her jade eyes and gave me a long-suffering look.

"Jenna, let's get some coffee into you, lest you and Victor stage a revolt next."

I gave her a smirk, and I said, "I don't have a clue what you're talking about Ele."

"I suppose it was not you that printed out papers to form a lycan union and then sat them on my desk?"